Thursday, July 31, 2008

July has kinda been teh suck

Pretty much an entire month spent searching for a decent beater car to commute in. All my spare time on teh interwebs was spent on Autotrader.com and Craigslist, and time that would've gone for such things as golf, gym, or buying groceries. Certainly there's been very little time on the digital felt. Finally I thought I'd found one, in a 1997 BMW 328i. Salvage title, but it was straight and ran smooth. It had its scars and problems, but it was loaded, only showed 81k on the odometer, and the airbags were still in it. And because of the salvage title, the price was phenomenally low. As it turns out, one of the critical things that needs fixing is preventing me from getting the car smogged and registered here in Cali. I've spent days visiting several garages and repair shops who admittedly work with the guy who sold me the car and have cut me good deals to do work on it. Finally, after spending 5 hours standing in the sun at a wrecking yard in Chula Vista on Tuesday (and not feeling the earthquake because I was too far south), the check engine light was out and (supposedly) the vacuum leak was fixed. It was the end of the day, so I couldn't get over to the guy who I was referred to for smog, and Wednesday I was up in Riverside County, and I'd already made an appointment to get the Jeep in for an oil change and brakes on Thursday. So Friday it would be. Except for when I left work Thursday afternoon, the damn check engine light was on again! I pulled over and lifted the hood. I did check and sure enough, the engine was there. But the light remains. So Friday morning (probably 8 hours from now, which is currently 12:23 a.m.) I'll go back to the yard in Chula Vista to see if they can band-aid my car together enough to pass smog. If they do and there's enough time in the day, I'm going straight to the smog shop to get it smogged. Once that's done, registration and plates are mine! Then I'll probably sell the damn thing. We shall see...

Thursday evening, for a change of pace, DAPGF went out for drinks with a friend, so Hoff had some time for the poker machine. I managed to play 3 sngs, the first of which was one of those "Super Turbos" that are on Full Tilt, in which I managed to place second. That was the end of my luck, because the next one, an 18 player SNG had this result:


Yeah, it's always fun to get your aces cracked. Aaaaaannnnd Hoff is sent to the rail. So SNG #3. Maybe this time will give me a shot.


Yeah, it's always fun to flip the carsd over and realize that you've got your opponent dominated. And then they catch a 2 outer on the turn to really screw you in the ass.

I'm tired and I'm going to bed. See ya out there!

4 comments:

$mokkee said...

are you sure the engine's still there?

better double-check

car probs suck ass

drewspop said...

Well, is the damn thing on the road now or what?

iamhoff said...

The engine is definitely there. I've been driving the thing ever since I bought it. The check engine light primarily covers things related to emissions and smog...if you have a catastrophic failure like a head gasket leak, it's not so much that that will cause the light to come on, but it will cause the car's computer to recognize that the engine isn't operating in the proper smog-preventative parameters and kick the light on. The problem seems to be some oxygen sensors in the catalytic converter and exhaust manifold that are malfunctioning. The guy I bought it from is covering the cost of the repairs, so I'm kind of unfortunately on his time table. But the car is running, and is getting 28 mpg, so I'll just keep driving it and fixing things that come up. I go back to the smog guy today (Thursday), so hopefully I'll have my certs and can get plates and registration issued this weekend. We shall see...

Good to hear from you again, C.

Blogger said...

I would like to advise that you stick with the ultimate Forex broker.