Monday, June 30, 2008

Random Thoughts From a Busy Week and Weekend

Got no poker playing in last week. Z-E-R-O. So it was a good time for the bankroll. The main culprits? Work, Dad, and DAPGF.

Work is really in a weird state of flux. My assignment in Santa Ana came to an end on Friday. This is good for two reasons. One, I no longer have to go to Santa Ana. Two, I'm no longer bound by the inflexibility of the train. Three reasons why this is bad. One, I actually enjoyed riding on the train. I made some good friends, I could nap or read a book (or even, God forbid, work), and Amtrak serves liquor, including Arrogant Bastard Ale! Two, the work was super easy. And three, now I have to drive out to the Lake Elsinore area of Riverside County! At 14.5 mpg in my gas pig Jeep. I do get reimbursed for mileage, but the Jeep is a lease and I fully expect to rack up somewhere between $2500 and $5000 in mileage overcharges over the remaining 9 months of the lease. The reason I'm not sure what the mileage charge is going to be is my boss still hasn't told me definitively how much I'll be out there. We've known about this project and client for the past month, and I still have no idea what the schedule is. As of Friday around 10 a.m., I was scheduled to be up there by noon on Monday (I have a meeting with another client here in San Diego first). I got an email at 5:03 pm on Friday from my boss, saying "
I think we are free on Monday. I'll call over the weekend to coordinate." What the hell does that mean? And then beyond that, I don't know if I'm there one day per week or five days per week. Last week my boss said that at least for the first month it would just be the two of us handling this project. Which implies that I'm there 5 days per week. So long story short, I spent a bunch of time closing out one project, prepping for the new project, and in an effort to minimize fuel and mileage costs, me and DAPGF spent a bunch of time over the weekend looking for a beater car (early 90s Honda Accord, etc.) that will get 25-30 mpg and I can drive the wheels off of. Of course I couldn't find something to make a deal on, so I get to keep wasting time looking for a commuter box. Meh. Dad is also in a state of flux. As most of you know, my mom passed away a little over a year ago from cancer. What that has meant for my Dad (among many obvious things) is that he has felt that the house that my family has lived in for the past 19 years was both too big and too expensive for a single retired person. So he's been trying to sell it for the past few months. And at the beginning of June he accepted an offer on it. So we then went thru the drama of figuring out what his plans were. Stay in San Diego? Move someplace else where there's mountain streams to fish in? He wants to do the fishing thing, and he wants to move someplace cheaper than California, San Diego in particular. The Carson Valley area of Nevada seems to be a leading choice. But there are still a few variables in the mix, so he decided to rent a place in San Diego for a year, to give him time to figure things out. So we had to find a place. Then came this past week. First we had to help him pack stuff up. Then we had to help him move his stuff (he did have movers for the big stuff). Then we had to help him unpack. And by "we" I mean me (and DAPGF). He's in a very nice condo, about 2 miles from the house, so we'll see what happens. Finally DAPGF. She was actually the least impactful in one way, but hugely impactful to my poker time in another. There was only one issue, but it was time critical. DAPGF teaches one night a week at a local technical college. That is a night that I typically play some poker. I went off to work on Tuesday, all set to go to the gym after work to pick up heavy shit and put it back down, and then play me some poker. And I get a call while I'm on the train from DAPGF. It seems she had her schedule mixed up, and the summer session didn't start for another 2 weeks. So she wasn't going to teach, so we were going to have dinner, and I wasn't going to get to play poker. Uber-meh. Quite the week. Hopefully I can get a work schedule locked up, and then figure out what to do for a car. Then I might actually find the time to jump on the digital tables and sling some chips around. We'll see. For a change of pace on Friday, I shuffled up some Southern Rock on the mp3 player. The last five songs to come up on my way home for the last time from Santa Ana: ZZ Top - I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide Great White - Step On You .38 Special - Wild Eyed Southern Boys Eagles - In The City (Live) Jackson Browne - Running On Empty

Friday, DAPGF got us tickets to see Bonfire, an "early AC/DC tribute band" play at the House of Blues. As you might expect, there are several such bands named Bonfire, and this one is apparently out of LA. They actually freaking rocked! They totally looked and dressed the parts, but the best thing out of all of it was that the guy who was supposed to be Angus Young actually looked kind of like Gavin Smith! You be the judge:

Who knew?

On Saturday, we went and saw the movie, Wanted. Freaking awesome! Killer action sequences, lots of death and violence, and Angelina Jolie's naked ass! That's all you need to know. And with that, it's time for bed.

See you out there, peeps.

No comments: