Monday, May 12, 2008

Poker and Non-Poker...that oughta cover it!

So. This work schedule and reduced access to gmail and blogger is a major impediment to keeping up with the brogging. Still, I am trying. So here's a recap for the past week-ish.

Yesterday was actually the 2nd Mother's Day since my mom passed away. Still difficult. But, to celebrate Mother's Day, I took DAPGF (my baby doggy mama) out to the champagne brunch at The Prado at Balboa Park. Phenomenal spread, phenomenal weather, and I needed a phenomenal nap afterwards! Many of my favorite restaurants here in San Diego are Cohn restaurants, and they really seem to have the formula down.

Semi-related topic to my mother; as my parents neared retirement and such, they expected that it would be difficult to continue to live in expensive So Cal. They'd talked about selling the house and moving someplace else (4 seasons climate, mountains, etc.), that would be affordable enough to allow them to enjoy retirement. Since my mom passed away, dad stepped up those thoughts. He's been downsizing all of the crap that has accumulated not only over 40 years of married life in general (my parents' 40th anniversary would've been just over 2 months after my mom passed away), but 25 of those years in the same town, and 19 of those years in the same house. It's good that he's been working on that, because he got a decent offer on the house. He made a reasonable counter-offer, and I expect that this week the house will go into escrow. It's going to be weird. I lived in that house during my senior year in high school, college summers, and spent the majority of weekends in that house after getting jobs that were unfortunately NOT in San Diego. Most of the major holidays have been spent in that house, with my parents (natch) and my little sister. It's going to be difficult on my dad in some ways, but hopefully it will help him to heal and move on after my mom's passing. I'm trying to convince him to find a townhome that a) has enough room for him to watch the doggie when DAPGF and I go out of town, and b) is on a golf course so that he can get resident-tee times at some of the Rancho Bernardo golf courses for me and some of my friends (not that I'm being selfish or anything). It should be interesting.

Friday was one of the fuglier commute days for me. It was a day on the train, but oh what fucked up complications. My train pulled into the Irvine Metrolink station at 9 a.m., and stopped. After a half hour or so, they told us that a construction crew had ruptured a natural gas line adjacent to the tracks between Irvine and Tustin, and nothing was moving north of Irvine. Estimated time to open things up was noon-ish. So we got lucky and convinced an empty OCTA bus to take us to Santa Ana, where some people could catch additional northbound transit and I could simply get a cab to the office. So I got in and did some work. At the end of the day, I called both Amtrak and Metrolink to check track status, and Metrolink (which owns the tracks) said that the tracks were still closed, but that they would run buses from Tustin (where southbound traffic stopped) down to Oceanside (last Metrolink stop in San Diego county). So I walked back to the train station. Caught a ride to Tustin, and got on a bus. Unfortunately the bus only went to Irvine, but they said that we could catch Metrolink charter buses down to Oceanside. So we waited in Irvine. And waited. And waited. Side note, the train and crew I came up on in the morning was still there! Then they announced that a Metrolink train was coming in and would take us to Oceanside. So we climbed the 3 flights of stairs to the bridge to the far tracks. And waited. And waited. And the train finally came in, but wouldn't let anybody board because the crew had no idea what they were supposed to do. Finally, they opened the doors and let us board, telling us that they'd take us to Oceanside. Now mind you, my car was in Solana Beach, 20 miles south of Oceanside, but that's not a critical issue at this point. So we wait for the crew to fire it up and get moving. And they come on the PA and announce that they made a mistake, and that they were only going as far as San Juan Capistrano, and that people going to Oceanside and San Diego should go back over the bridge and wait for charter buses that would take us down there. So we exit the train, climb back over, and wait. And wait. And then they announce that an Amtrak train is coming up from Oceanside to take us south, and that we need to cross over to the far tracks again. So we go back over. And wait. And wait. Finally the Amtrak comes in, but because it's not going any farther north, we have to wait for everybody to get off the train. Then we have to wait for them to clean the train, and more importantly, RESTOCK THE LIQUOR ON THE CAFE CAR!!! Then we finally board and start rolling south. A buddy of mine who was supposed to ride a later train and was still in his office in Irvine texted me wanting to know what the situation was. I told him and he decided to look up the Coaster schedule in Oceanside for me. At that point, I was kind of screwed. We didn't get into Oceanside in time to catch the 6:30 train (not even close), and the next one south was scheduled for 9:30. Fortunately, this very nice girl I'd been chatting with (thanks Courtney!!) had her car in Oceanside, and offered to take me down to Solana Beach. Whew! I finally get to the car, drive home, and get in at 8 p.m. I should've been home by 4:30! Fortunately, DAPGF was out with friends (pre-planned event), so I didn't have to worry about her waiting on me.

So with DAPGF out, I was hoping to play in Kat's donkament, but that plan was obviously out the window. So I started jumping into SNGs, wanting to get as much pokerage in as possible before DAPGF came home. 2 18 player SNGs produced nothing better than a 7th place finish, but then I jumped into a 4 player HU PLO/8 shootout. That was the first 4 player shootout I ever played in, and I'd hoped that with the format it would go fairly quickly. My table did...4th hand I flopped quads, and my opponent hit a boat. Naturally we both shove and I won. Then I waited. And waited. And waited. I put a load of laundry in. I emptied the dishwasher. I didn't want to start another game, because I figured DAPGF would be home soon. I was right. So we bullshitted for a while, watched some stuff off of the DVR, and then all of a sudden the laptop beeped and my match restarted...almost 45 minutes after I won my table! 20 hands and this happens:

Royal Flush, baby! That crippled my opponent and enabled me to finish him off a few hands later. So a decent end to the evening. I would've included some hand histories, but I was playing on my laptop, and the settings on the thumb drive client weren't set to save hand histories. Meh.

My digital cable system (Time Warner) includes the Music Choice digital music channels. While waiting for DAPGF to come home, I was listening to the Arena Rock channel. The last 5 songs before she came home were:

Queensryche - Eyes of a Stranger
Kiss - I Love It Loud
Night Ranger - (You Can Still) Rock in America
Britney Fox - Girl School
Bon Jovi - Living on a Prayer

Car of the Week

This is a really cool car that I've seen occasionally near the UCSD campus. It is officially known as a Volkswagen Type 34 Karmann Ghia. It was a limited production model, made between 1961 and 1969, with a total of 45,000 approximately produced world wide. Not sure how many made it into the United States, but here's one of them, and it actually appears to be in decent shape. Any VW lovers out there that have additional details on it, feel free to share.

So our official COTW is the Volkswagen Type 34 Karmann Ghia. Have a great freaking week!

1 comment:

River Driver said...

Sunday was hard for me too. My doggie gave me flowers though. That was nice.

Good list of songs! XM's Boneyard is pretty good, but sounds like Sirius' rock channel is better. :( Oh well.

When you said, "19 years in the same house" I was like, "No, it hasn't been that long, they moved in there when I was finishing 9th grade" and then I did some finger counting..."Holy shit! It has been 19 years! DAMN I'm old!"

Yes, and I've been living in the South now for 10 freakin' years. We've really gotta get the hell outta here.