Monday, April 21, 2008

Teh Randomness of Crap

Well, this was not a good evening on the felt. DAPGF called me up at work today to tell me she's going out with friends tonight. Woo hoo! Hoff gets unexpected time on the poker machine! So I fire up a nice 18 player Tier 1 SNG. I go out in 14th. I fire up a 6.50 18 player SNG. I go out in 14th. I fire up a 2.25 18 player SNG. I go out in 12th. A typical hand would see me checking my J6off in the BB, and seeing a flop of A J 2 rainbow. I check, and someone min bets and I decide to call. Turn is a 6, giving me 2 pair. I lead out with a pot bet, and get called. River is another 2, only I don't realize that anybody who paired their ace just counterfeitted my 2 pair. So I bet, someone shoves, I call, and lose 2/3 of my stack. That was typical. But two hands that really present the flavor of the evening are these:

spgmolly19 posts the small blind of 40
iamhoff posts the big blind of 80
The button is in seat #1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to iamhoff [Qs As]
LuckyLadyLuck folds
freddyboy88 raises to 280
XPOKERACESX folds
hornet3a folds
spgmolly19 folds
iamhoff calls 200
*** FLOP *** [Qd Ac 8h]
iamhoff checks
freddyboy88 bets 560
iamhoff calls 310, and is all in
freddyboy88 shows [Ah Kc]
iamhoff shows [Qs As]
Uncalled bet of 250 returned to freddyboy88
*** TURN *** [Qd Ac 8h] [Jc]
*** RIVER *** [Qd Ac 8h Jc] [Kd]
freddyboy88 shows two pair, Aces and Kings
iamhoff shows two pair, Aces and Queens
freddyboy88 wins the pot (1,220) with two pair, Aces and Kings
iamhoff stands up

I was ahead when all the money went in, so what could I do? The other one was this:

34shortstack34 posts the small blind of 80
iamhoff posts the big blind of 100, and is all in
The button is in seat #1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to iamhoff [Ks 6c]
cassaar folds
success11 folds
arvinjr folds
smendezr folds
shortyw4lgs folds
34shortstack34 calls 20
34shortstack34 shows [5d 4c]
iamhoff shows [Ks 6c]
*** FLOP *** [Ts 8h As]
*** TURN *** [Ts 8h As] [4s]
*** RIVER *** [Ts 8h As 4s] [Ad]
34shortstack34 shows two pair, Aces and Fours
iamhoff shows a pair of Aces
34shortstack34 wins the pot (200) with two pair, Aces and Fours
iamhoff stands up

I'd already been nuked a couple of hands prior, so I was all in on the BB. I figured a K6 would at least give me a chance to not be dominated. And when SB flipped over his 54, I figured I had a shot. Until the turn, and I get busted on a pair of 4s. That's how my night has gone.

Nothing special was said by the DJ, but I assume that they programmed this series of selections on purpose. What I'm calling the Sirius "Innuendo Mega-mix," heard last night while driving home from pet-sitting:

Whitesnake - Slide It In
W.A.S.P. - F**k Like a Beast
Kiss - Love Gun
Warrant - Cherry Pie
Motley Crue - Girls, Girls, Girls

Last 5 songs to hit the shuffle at the gym tonight:

The Killers - Somebody Told Me
Innerpartysystem - Don't Stop
Abandoned Pools - Mercy Kiss
Lost Prophets - The New Transmission
The Police - Synchronicity II

Car of The Week:

This week's Car of The Week was nominated because of a non-factory feature that was "installed" on the exterior of the car, no doubt by a very close friend. This car is a mid-70s Chevrolet Nova. A fine example of what is typically referred to as the "malaise" era of American cars. Back when the first oil crunch hit, combined with the first concerns about vehicle emissions, the 55 MPH speed limit, and newfound desires for crash protection, vehicles were downsized, fitted with huge chrome bumpers, and the mighty V8s of musclecars past were strangled by lower compression ratings and catalytic converters. Corvettes of that era were lucky to hit 160 hp. You can buy a Honda Civic right now that has almost 200 hp, and the top Corvette, the mighty ZR1 comes from the factory with 620 hp. But back then, things weren't good, and this car is a prime example. Old Novas from the late 60s could be had with factory big block V8s that put out simply absurd amounts of horsepower. And if that wasn't enough, special dealerships like Don Yenko (the rough equivalent of a local AMG setup) were selling modified cars fully capable of bypassing Ludicrous Speed and going Plaid. Anyway here's the car:

This fine vehicle was spotted recently at the Solana Beach train station, north of San Diego. On the surface, it looks like a typical redneck vehicle, with the Centerline rims, rally stripes and SS badges, hood pins, and a hole cut for the air cleaner to clear the inevitable Holley 4 bbl carburetor. But the reason it was nominated should be visible along the passenger door, rear quarter panel and rear quarter window.

That slight discoloration just ahead of the door handle is what caught my eye in the setting sunlight. Upon closer examination, it turned out to be barf! Probably beer-based...no doubt Bud or maybe Pabst Blue Ribbon. Either way, that sealed the deal, and the COTW was captured!

Have fun out there!

1 comment:

BrainMc said...

I totally did the same decorating on my '79 Buick Regal. I was hammered and slept in my car one New Years Eve in high school. I noticed it later in the day on the 2nd. Very Niiiiiiiice.