Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Maybe it's the heat or...

Kinda weird today. Jumped into a $6.50 18 player SNG. Actually had a decent amount of premium and not quite premium but still playable hands, including AK 4 times, AA 3 times, QQ 2 times, KQs couple of times, AXs several times, snowmen, 99, etc. With the exception of AK once and AA twice, these hands did nothing for me. But I could check snowman tater legs from the BB and flop a set. If I limped my 26 s000ted with the lemurs, the flop hit me 345. Pocket ducks turned quads. Basically, the shitty hands kept me in the game, ultimately getting me heads up, only to have my A8h with 2 pair and a backdoor flush draw run into a set of 4s. IGH in 2nd. That was actually my best finish in a while, so I'll take it.

Took the doggie to the vet today. She had a tooth extracted and a growth on her eyelid removed. She's still a little drugged and groggy, but still thought she should go on one of her epic hour-long walks at 11 pm. Fortunately, I had the written orders from the vet. I read them to the dog, even put them in front of her face so she could read them, but she still wanted to walk. Ultimately, though, the bribery of treats was enough to get her home. Too bad because a) I like the long walks in the late evening...I can just gel and collect my thoughts (well, thought), b) I get some good exercise, and c) it's finally below 70 degrees!

It's early in the season, but hot weather usually brings out the brush fires here in So Cal, and today was no exception. Fortunately there wasn't a whole slew of them to contend with, but there was a decent-sized one northeast of Los Angeles, in the Sierra Madre Foothills. There is a fire station near my office, and as I went rolling by this morning, they had a few CDF (California Dept. of Forestry) fire rigs and support trucks staging outside, along with two of the coolest looking fire rigs I've ever seen. Those of you who know me know that I hold firefighters in the highest reverence, even pre-9/11 I always thought they were the coolest, baddest guys (and gals) out there. And with the two recent huge firestorms to hit San Diego, we tend to show much love and respect to all the departments and crews. Now, being a region that has what is referred to as an "Urban-Wildland Interface" (which in plain-speak means that portions of the city bump up against wilderness area), the San Diego fire department along with most of the other departments here in the region have heavy duty fire rigs designed to go off-road and fight brush fires. They tend to look like this:



These two rigs I saw simply put these rigs to shame. I was driving by and was unable to stop and get a proper picture, but they reminded me of an armored personnel carrier. The closest image I could find that remotely resembles the rigs I saw is this:

I spent over an hour combing the intertubes trying to find the rigs I had seen. This Oshkosh Airport Fire Rig comes the closest, but the ones I saw were even bigger and more badass than this one, painted red and white like the brush rig photo. Over the course of my time in working for several cities in Southern California, I've actually had the opportunity to drive a fire truck for a short distance, and even shoot the water cannon at an actual building that was on fire (it helps to be buddies with both the Chief and the Squad Captain). Coolest. Time. Evar. And as a firefighter fan and a car junkie, I have to say that those fire rigs I saw this morning were some of the coolest vehicles I've ever seen, and despite lacking a photo of the actual vehicle I'm referring to, I'm naming all fire trucks as the Cars of the Week. Godspeed guys, and come home safe.

Everyone else out there, be careful and stay classy!

No comments: