Saturday, February 16, 2008

It's Nice To See Some Things Don't Change

Like probably most of you, it had been a while since I'd played on PokerStars. We all know that online poker is rigged, and that PokerStars is the home of the infamous River button. But I had a little extra sitting around in the bankroll, so I decided to drop a bit into Stars and give it a run. 18 and 45 player SNGs, what I like and traditionally have done reasonably well in. Now all I needed was an opportunity to play. Lo and behold, DAPGF had to run some errands this afternoon! We now have motive AND opportunity. Sounds like a crime is about to take place. Actually 3 crimes.

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to iamhoff [Ac As]
iamhoff: raises 200 to 250
jobob7: folds
theburglar4: raises 400 to 650
funtimeharry: folds
papyguy: folds
A V0id In Me: folds
Hochkar@ter: calls 600
iamhoff: raises 505 to 1155 and is all-in
theburglar4: raises 765 to 1920 and is all-in
Hochkar@ter: calls 1270
*** FLOP *** [3c 4d 9d]
*** TURN *** [3c 4d 9d] [4h]
*** RIVER *** [3c 4d 9d 4h] [Kh]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Hochkar@ter: shows [Ks Kd] (a full house, Kings full of Fours)
theburglar4: shows [Jc Js] (two pair, Jacks and Fours)
Hochkar@ter collected 1530 from side pot
iamhoff: shows [Ac As] (two pair, Aces and Fours)
Hochkar@ter collected 3490 from main pot

No way in hell do I fold aces preflop, I don't care how many raises and reraises there are. And I'm looking at a very nice triple-up, until the featherplucking river hit giving villain's KK a boat to crack my aces.

The second one was this:

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to iamhoff [Jc Kd]
Le_FRier: folds
Premier: folds
atsanicerack: folds
Gutbusta: folds
iamhoff: raises 150 to 200
farlzz: raises 650 to 850
MVPTomBrady: folds
iamhoff: calls 650
*** FLOP *** [Td 7d Jh]
farlzz: bets 353 and is all-in
iamhoff: calls 353
*** TURN *** [Td 7d Jh] [6s]
*** RIVER *** [Td 7d Jh 6s] [As]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
farlzz: shows [Ac Kh] (a pair of Aces)
iamhoff: shows [Jc Kd] (a pair of Jacks)
farlzz collected 2456 from pot

Now, you might question why I was calling a hefty reraise with KJoff, but villain was in the SB and had been a reraising steal-monkey all over the place. I took it to be a simple steal from the blinds, and I had a sufficient stack to give it a shot. And when the money got all in, I was ahead. Unfortunately, someone pushed that damn river button and left me with less than a blind. Next hand my A2 went nowhere but home.

And the final for the day:

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to iamhoff [4s Ac]
cuckyboy: folds
AZ SON: folds
SirNiro: calls 400
Ruggers15: folds
Bruisa: folds
Bk_Mithran: folds
JEDepies: folds
bumbumpeng is disconnected
bumbumpeng is connected
bumbumpeng: folds
iamhoff: checks
*** FLOP *** [5h 7d 2s]
iamhoff: checks
SirNiro: checks
*** TURN *** [5h 7d 2s] [3c]
iamhoff: checks
SirNiro: bets 400
iamhoff: calls 400
*** RIVER *** [5h 7d 2s 3c] [7s]
iamhoff: bets 780 and is all-in
SirNiro: calls 780
*** SHOW DOWN ***
iamhoff: shows [4s Ac] (a straight, Ace to Five)
SirNiro: shows [5c 5d] (a full house, Fives full of Sevens)
SirNiro collected 3585 from pot

I was the BB here, and checked my option. In a dispassionate review of hindsight, it would've made more sense to reraise on the turn, but I doubt villain would've folded a set of 5s. Either way, that damn river button hit one more time, giving villain a boat to sink my wheel. And now I remember why I haven't played on Stars in a while.

Stay Classy.

1 comment:

dave said...

I agree with the legislation which aims to ban credit cards as a payment method for online gambling of any sort... and i think it should be enforced worldwide – not just in America. In fact, gambling with a credit card should be banned full stop. Not just on the internet. It’s a no brainer when you consider you are backing the outcome of an uncertain event with somebody else’s money. Chance and credit do not mix well in my opinion, and continuing to allow it would only contribute further in negatively affecting the high levels of personal debt many citizens today find themselves in. I do however, think that the prohibition won't work; or at least it won’t be received well amongst gamblers - I mean what’s the point in banning a credit card payments made on an online poker game, for example, but not on other kinds online sports betting? Slightly hypocritical, you not think? I mean how can you allow someone to participate [with or without a credit card] in horse racing betting on the internet, but not put any money on a hand when they play texas holdem poker online? Both activities involve a large degree of chance, and neither promise to yield financial return. What really infuriates me is that the minority of irresponsible gamblers [those paying with someone elses money!] have now ruined the fun of online betting for everyone else - those like me who pay with money they actually have in their bank!! At least for the Americans there is always the free online poker games!