Sunday, February 17, 2008

And just for good measure...

So later in the afternoon after my previous post, I jumped into a micro-limit 18 player SNG. I figured that enough time should've passed and the bad streak would be done. Or at least the river streak. And sitting comfortably in 2nd place out of 5, just outside of the bubble, this happened:

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to iamhoff [Ad As]
CASTLECLR: folds
62taner62: folds
iamhoff: raises 2400 to 3000
alexdetls: raises 2400 to 5400
cjantzen: folds
iamhoff: raises 1643 to 7043 and is all-in
alexdetls: calls 1643
*** FLOP *** [Qd Th Td]
*** TURN *** [Qd Th Td] [Jh]
*** RIVER *** [Qd Th Td Jh] [Qh]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
alexdetls: shows [Js Jc] (a full house, Jacks full of Queens)
iamhoff: shows [Ad As] (two pair, Aces and Queens)
alexdetls collected 14936 from pot

OK, it wasn't quite a river, but it was the 2nd time my aces got cracked to send me home. Again, I'm not backing down with aces, so I'm not disappointed with my preflop shove. In an EXTREMELY dispassionate look at things with a hard eye at second-guessing, I suppose I could've smooth-called his reraise preflop. I'm on the button and villain is the SB, so on the flop he'd be the first to act. Being the big stack at the table (covering me 11,700 to 7100), he might have shoved on the flop. I don't know. The fact that he reraised my 5x PF raise with JJ (I guess JJ really R OK) tells me that he probably would've bet out. Maybe not, I'll never know. If he would've checked, either A) I shove (remember, I've only got 1600 at this point) and he folds, or B) I shove and he calls. The only way I see any way to have won is if he check/folded, and seeing how he played JJ preflop, I don't think he would've. Basically, it was just another massive bucket of Fail. And life goes on.

2 comments:

Klopzi said...

Don't smooth-call with Aces. You got your money in as a favourite and you lost. That's donkaments, right?

iamhoff said...

Exactly. The money was going to go all in preflop, because his reraise was so large, it basically pot-committed me. If you're afraid of shoving with aces, you shouldn't be playing. It's just unfortunate that I caught the short end of the aces twice. Meh. I'd do it again.