Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Yo yo yo, boyeeeeeeee

This new schedule of mine at work is kind of sucky. No broadband card for the laptop (thanks for correcting me, Smokkee), I spend 3 hours per day, 3 days per week watching surfers dropping in on some phenomenally beautiful waves through San Clemente and San Onofre and I CAN'T GET OUT THERE TO JOIN THEM, and I have to spend what little free time I have at home for inter-tube related stuff catching up on things that would otherwise be taken care of here and there, keeping me off the felt. Of course, if last night was any indication, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Knowing I had just a little bit of time and fresh off a nice double up on my last session, I bought into some micro NLHE. Pretty card zombie, whiffing flops and getting little traction. Except for getting all in with my nut flush against villain's set on the turn, and having the river pair the damn board. So I decided a change of pace was in order, and I jumped into some PLO/8. A couple of times I had that glorious hand of AKA2, double s00ted, and couldn't even hit a low. The one hand I actually won was one of those absurd head-shakers. I had JJ23, and limped from the CO, along with half the table. Flop was AKx rainbow. Check around. Turn was a brick. Check around. River was another brick. Check around and my jacks held. Beyond that, I got felted and left with 4 to the nut flush, and a backdoor flush wheel draw only to miss all of them and lose to a set of 9s.

On a different topic, sometimes life just presents you with a target that is such an easy hit that you almost feel sorry for them. On my way back from a meeting, I stopped in suburban San Diego to get some fuel (some of the cheapest around here, btw, $3.11/gal for 87 octane). There's a brand new, $180,000 Bentley Continental Flying Spur at the next pump island, which isn't an everyday occurrence in this particular neighborhood, but it's not hugely out of place. What made it funny was the two young hooligans that were on the other side of the pump from me. So white they would've glowed in the dark, they were in full-on gangsta mode with their Ecko jeans, ENYCEE jackets, Lugz boots, black NY Yankee caps (backwards, natch), seats reclined, thumping some gangsta rap, out of the speakers in their 2003 Toyota Camry with plastic wheelcovers!Not exactly a '64 Impala or a 2007 Hummer H2. The Suburban Mafia! But the best part was, after putting maybe $10 into their tank, they slow-rolled in front of the Bentley, stopped, and whipped out their cameraphones to get some shots of the apparent car of their dreams. I was laughing too hard to get a shot of them. And make no mistake. I'm a car nut of the highest order. I stop and take pics of cars all the time. But the image they were trying to rep, in the whip they were rolling was just too much to take. So I'm nominating two cars for Car of the Week. The Bentley Flying Spur and the 2003 Toyota Camry...rides for gangstas from all walks of life.

2 comments:

River Driver said...

Around here those boyz would get their a$$es handed to them in no time flat. Posers in the hizzouse!

Blogger said...

With CarRental8 you can get the cheapest rental cars from over 50,000 locations across the world.