Monday, March 12, 2007

A little of this, a little of that...

Not a lot of poker content. As I noted previously, I decided to stay off the felt for a bit, to try and move past the beatings I took earlier. Still, a couple of nights ago I decided to hit a couple of SNGs and see where I was standing. As it turned out, I was standing at the bottom of a big hill. In my first SNG (PLO8, 10 player), I raised up preflop with the ever popular AA23 double s00ted starting hand. Because it was early, ¾ of the table hung around, and saw a flop of AK9 rainbow. I was UTG and figured I’d check my set, and everybody checked around. Turn was another 9, giving me aces full and eliminating the low hand and any flush draws. I figured that people would likely check again, so why not bet the pot. Everyone folded except MP, who flat called me. It’s hard to tell with early PLO, but I figured that this guy was on a set of 9s, a draw to broadway, or maybe 9s full. Hell, at that point I figured he could’ve just been on AK for top 2 pair. The river was a K, upgrading me to the nut boat. I bet it up, and MP shoved. What does he have? AK for the 3rd nut boat? K9 for a different boat? Maybe 9s or Ks for quads? I just wasn’t sure, but I was pot committed at this point, and with aces full of kings, I couldn’t fold that hand and I called. He flipped over his KK, and IGH in 10th. So I quickly dismissed that for the craptacular luck that it was and jumped into another. This one didn’t go as poorly as the first one, but it didn’t go well. Basically I was card zombie. 3 different times I was dealt AKA2, double s00ted, only to have the flop come down 89T, or 449, or some other such pile of crap that completely missed the hawesomeness of my hand. End result, I got no traction, didn’t chip up worth a damn, and bubbled out in 4th. The last one was a $1 18 player NLHE. It went pretty much the same as the PLO went (except for no low draws, natch), not getting many cards, not getting much traction. Fortunately, the big stack (who had been a luckbox of CJ’s caliber) managed to let me into the money. Two of the shorter stacks, one above me and one below, both shoved preflop. Big stack, who had them covered significantly (10k vs. 1200 and 800), called both all-ins. 1st guy turns over AA. 2nd guy turns over KK. Big stack turns over QJ. And the flop comes down AKT, and Hoff is in the money! Shortly thereafter, I shoved after flopping top 2 pair on a QT4 flop. Big stack calls, and flips over his pocket 4s, and his set sends me home. Big. Fucking. Meh.

I went to the gym the other day, unfortunately without my mp3 player. I’d taken it out of the bag to load up some new tunes (it’s old, and only 256 mb…give me a break), and didn’t get it done. So I figured I’d listen to the tunes they piped in (from some service like Music Choice or one of those). When I walked in, they were on a basic rock tip, and I listened to Bon Jovi’s “Livin’ on a Prayer” and AC/DC’s “Back in Black” while I was getting changed. As I entered the gym floor and headed to my ab cruncher bench, “Stop” by Jane’s Addiction started up. OK. All good tunes for pumping up a workout pace. And here’s where things went weird. About a minute into Jane’s Addiction, someone switched channels over to a pop channel. Not really happy, but I figured the tempo of the music would keep things moving. The first song kinda did ok…it was by Jessica Simpson (I think) and had that hook from “Jack and Diane” by John Cougar. I hate it when decent songs get corrupted like that, but at least the song had a reasonable tempo. The next one was some breathless-sounding girl doing a very mellow and slow cover of “Send Me An Angel,” which was originally done back in the 80s by (I think) Real Life, and sounded a lot like “Twilight Zone” by Golden Earring. The original version of “…Angel” had a good tempo, with its Eurotrash beat, but this sounded like somebody whispering over a keyboard wash. The sound system isn’t great at the gym, but I couldn’t really tell if there was anything providing percussion. And the one after that was an equally mellow-sounding version of Firehouse’s “Love of a Lifetime,” which itself was a far too mellow hair metal ballad. I didn’t think that song could’ve gotten more mellow, but I guess if you take the electric guitars (even the ones without distortion) away, it puts you to sleep. At that point I just tuned it out and did my workout. I’m not sure what really happened, but as the timer counted down to zero on the elliptical trainer, “Root Down” by the Beastie Boys came on. I’m not sure when someone grew a pair and switched over from the sappy, sleepy crap that had been on, but I sure wish it had been sooner. As it is, I will be loading up the mp3s tonight…I’m thinking Stormtroopers of Death (Speak English or Die), Disturbed, Linkin Park, Dokken, Ratt, Iron Maiden, maybe some Beastie Boys and Ludacris, and maybe Pantera to round out a nicely energetic mix.

1 comment:

CarmenSinCity said...

Damn - you go to the gym? I should do that once in a while.