Monday, August 21, 2006

The one in which we actually apply lessons learned...

It's just before the break in a limit stud tournament (not that there's a limit to my personal studliness, of course). Blinds are 150/300/25, and 2 hands previously, an aggressive guy who was recently moved to the table busted your hero's 2 pair with a rivered flush. Hero is dealt snowmen in the pocket and a duck for a door card. I call the bring-in, MP calls, villain completes with Jc on the door, UTG folds, I call and so does MP. Now, I'm not tilted over the beat I took earlier, but I am watching for a spot to bust villain. The deal brings me a beautiful 3rd snowman, MP a rag, and villain the 4c. So. Even if he just made a set, mine's bigger (heh heh heh). I figure he's on a flush draw, and I'm not going to make it cheap for him to make it. At this point I'm sitting on around 4000 chips, and he's got around 6000. I bet, he raises, I reraise, committing myself to go all in if it goes that far. Sure as hell, villain keeps reraising to get me all in. Cards are flipped, and he's got 4 clubs. Fortunately the poker gods are with me, and I drag a nice 8000 chip pot. 2 lessons here. First, get all your money in with the best hand. It may sound logical, but I'm sure many of us don't do that all the time (guilty). Second, if you're up against somebody with a drawing hand (anything from a flush to the proverbial 2 high cards), make it expensive for them to fill their hand. I knew I had the best hand when the money got all in, and I was ready to go to war with that. Every now and then, things work out.

And here's the picture I was trying to post yesterday.

Just had to represent my piece of history.