Monday, July 17, 2006

Not much going on...

So I won a freeroll into the Full Tilt Red Rock challenge. Sweet. I didn't make it to the Red Rock during the WPBT but I'd heard a lot of bloggers talking about it. Hey! A free trip to Vegas and a chance at a million dollar pot...I'm good with that. So I started off in Round 1 yesterday. I was actually playing fairly well. About 20 minutes into the tourney, I had seen more than 400 players eliminated and built up a stack almost double the average (around 9000). I was less than half of what the big stack was, though, and that was my downfall. The big stack unfortunately was at my table, with something north of 30k in chips, and he was playing true big stack poker. It didn't matter what you bet, he was in the pot. I watched people limp, only to have him raise enough to put them all in. I watched people shove, only to have him call with any two cards and get lucky almost half the time. I figured that if I got a monster, I'd pop a "normal" raise and shove if he reraised me. Sure as hell, I wake up to cowboys UTG. I pop it to 600 to go (50/100 if I remember correctly) and get one caller, Mr. Big Stack Bully who is sitting in the BB. Flop comes down 457 rainbow. He bets out 1000. I figure he's just trying to bully me out, and at best he's got Ace-rag and paired one of them. I shove, figuring that I'm going to double up off of the biggest ass-tard in the tournament. Take a guess what two cards Mr. Big Stack Fuck-tard was playing. What two cards would you feel were worth calling a 5x raise preflop? Think about it. Give me your widest calling range. The ass-ranger was playing






wait for it...






you know you're guessing correctly here...




3.





6.




Yes, Mister Fuck-tard flopped a straight 3 to the 7. I even picked up a 3rd K on the turn, but it wasn't enough. I was so bent that I actually stayed in the chat box and just spewed. I normally don't do that, but I was just so bent that I couldn't help myself. It wasn't just the horrific beat, it was the fact that I was playing some of the best tournament poker I'd ever played. I was catching cards, I had an aggression level that Hoy would have approved of. I was playing extremely well, and GF was even out for a while, so I didn't have any GF tilt to worry about.

In a fit of dispassionate self-review, I could've smooth-called his flop bet. Once that 3rd cowboy fell on the turn, though, I would've shoved anyway. I was drawing dead, no matter what happened. Now, if there had been no preflop raise and he checked the BB, I might have paused a bit for his flop bet. I probably would've called, instead of reraising, but again that 3rd king would've sealed it for me. Oh well. Das poker. Now I have to win another freeroll into this thing. Stay tuned, dear readers.

And to live up to the title of this here totally geigh online diary, here's a random list:

Last 5 songs to come up shuffled in my "Random Poker Tunes" iTunes playlist:

David Banner (feat Lil Flip) - Get Down (like a pimp)
Bad Religion - Los Angeles is Burning
Socks and a Smile - Fighting Gravity
Krokus - Long Stick Goes Boom
Electric Six - Gay Bar

See ya out there...

7 comments:

biggestron said...

Stupid maniac big stacks! You played it right and got unlucky. That's all. The set on the turn gave you some outs, but there's not much you can do when a bully catches cards, since his bets don't give much information.

drewspop said...

ugh, hate that crap. December man, December.

Matt Silverthorn said...

Boy do I know the feeling. Good luck in the next one!

littleacornman said...

Yeah that was nasty.

Btw is that David Banner a big green bloke?

smokkee said...

you gotta luv biggies trying to donk their stack unless they stack you in the process. wut a freakin' luckbox. i could see calling a 5x preflop raise with 4-6 but, THREE-SIX !?!?

no freakin way.

StB said...

At least you listened to some Krokus.

iamhoff said...

Definitely one of the more frustrating beats I've seen lately.

Acorn, David Banner is a rapper brother from Mississippi...he doesn't look green, but I guess if he drank too much 8-ball...

Steve, I am all about the 80s metal. My hard drive is crammed with Maiden, Dokken, Priest, Crue, Leppard, Krokus, Ratt, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, SOD, Armored Saint, Quiet Riot, and so on. Beyond that, I loves me some good rocking tunes, whatever the genre. As you discovered with Milwaukee radio, it's all gone to standardized playlists based on record company fellatio. I heard the Bad Religion track on KIOZ FM out here in San Diego (yoosta be nothing but metal) and dug it for the groove. The other tracks I picked up from random websites and movies. No need to worry that I'm giving up metal...I just can't see that happening.