Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Yes, I am still here

So. I see by the comments that 1) people are concerned about my job hunt. So nice. It makes me feel all warm and squishy inside. Either that or I sat in something. And 2) people are telling me to post. On that, I have been lame. I have been spending my time either surfing the job boards or playing poker. I really should spend some of the poker time on the blogs. I am so far behind in both my blogging and my reading that it's embarrassing. So where to begin...

The job hunt is going slowly. I've applied to a bunch of jobs, had the one interview that didn't pan out, and I just got another one scheduled for Friday. One of my girlfriend's friends works for a recruitment firm, so I've got her pimping me out also. Basically, it's slow going. Hopefully something will hit soon, because unemployment isn't even going to cover one quarter of what I had been making.

Blogging. I decided yesterday that I'm rededicating myself to getting back into a routine. This not having to get up super early for work and staying home all day really has me in a rut. I should go to the gym, but the $3 rebuy madness is starting in an hour on Stars. Better not. I'll look at some job listings. Maybe I'll grab something to munch on while I surf the job boards. Next thing I know it's 2:00 in the afternoon and I haven't done shit with the day. If I can get back into some sort of routine, I think that will help me stabilize things. Hit the gym regularly, to try and get back on the weight loss track. Set time for poker, so I don't blow what remains from my dwindling bankroll. Finally, a set time for blogging so that I can keep in touch with all of you degerates. I definitely need to update and clean up the blogroll (yes I know I mentioned that before, but I'm "rededicating" here...work with me), and I really want to catch up on who's been winning what. As a side note, Vegas is on this summer!! Dear and patient GF and I figured it out, and even though it's not the uber-experience I was planning on, it is happening. We'll show up Saturday morning just in time for the tourney, stay Saturday night in the Excal (all of my contact info is on April's list), and then head back to San Diego on Sunday. You have no idea how much I'm looking forward to this.

Poker. I've been playing in a lot more of the larger MTTs...a side benefit of being home all day. I've actually made small cashes in a couple of the $4 180s and a couple of $3 rebuy madnesses. I've been trying to get back to ABC poker, and for the most part it's been working. Currently, I'm having no luck at Tilt, and Stars runs really hot and cold (today was extremely chilly, btw), but I'm cashing just enough to stay alive. I did fall victim to the ever popular suck-resuck recently, in a 15+1 SNG on Stars. Hand 2!!! And I was the favorite when all the money went in, so as soon as I start earning some more dollars, I'll pay you for the bad beat story.

*********** # 2 **************
PokerStars Game #5266519802: Tournament #26526121, $15+$1 Hold'em No
Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2006/06/15 - 23:26:28 (ET)
Table '26526121 1' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: iamhoff (1500 in chips)
Seat 2: poopmonkey (1490 in chips)
Seat 3: DaRoyalNizzl (1180 in chips)
Seat 4: hawkm55 (1500 in chips)
Seat 5: FlyingSumo (1500 in chips)
Seat 6: JabberJaw74 (1500 in chips)
Seat 7: HTownKid23 (1830 in chips)
Seat 8: Fids48 (1500 in chips)
Seat 9: concavepro (1500 in chips)
DaRoyalNizzl: posts small blind 10
hawkm55: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to iamhoff [4s 4d]
FlyingSumo: folds
JabberJaw74: folds
HTownKid23: folds
Fids48: calls 20
concavepro: folds
iamhoff: calls 20
poopmonkey: raises 100 to 120
DaRoyalNizzl: folds
hawkm55: folds
Fids48: calls 100
iamhoff: calls 100
*** FLOP *** [5s 5c 4h]
Fids48: checks
iamhoff: checks
poopmonkey: bets 240
Fids48: raises 240 to 480
iamhoff: raises 320 to 800
poopmonkey: raises 570 to 1370 and is all-in
Fids48: calls 890
iamhoff: calls 570
*** TURN *** [5s 5c 4h] [5d]
Fids48: bets 10 and is all-in
iamhoff: calls 10 and is all-in
*** RIVER *** [5s 5c 4h 5d] [6s]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Fids48: shows [8s 8c] (a full house, Fives full of Eights)
iamhoff: shows [4s 4d] (a full house, Fives full of Fours)
Fids48 collected 20 from side pot
poopmonkey: shows [Kh Kc] (a full house, Fives full of Kings)
poopmonkey collected 4500 from main pot
HTownKid23 said, "damn tht sux"

Ya gotta love having your boat counterfitted. Anyway, that's the update for now. Barring something unusual, I will (no, really, I will!) get back into a regular reading and posting routine. Thanks to all of you not only for your concern and good thoughts, but being demented enough to hang around here. You must be demented and sick in the head if you're actually wondering when I'm going to post again. Seek help. Just save me a seat when you do!

12 comments:

Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

Glad to hear you're keeping it together. I go on my semi-retirement this July - Sep and have determined to do the same thing: make a schedule to prevent me from becoming a total degenerate while the wife's at work. May meet up in Vegas...wheels are in motion...

iamhoff said...

That's the way to do it...make yourself a schedule. Even if it is nothing more than waking up at a certain time, showering, getting dressed (these are two key things, btw), and doing something outside of the house like the gym, a walk, going to the driving range, etc. You gotta come to Vegas, Iak. If nothing else, Don and Carmen live there! Think of the home game we could have!!

drewspop said...

Man, I really want to get out to Vegas for this damn. Wish I had planned a little better. Have a great time and good luck on the job front.

CarmenSinCity said...

Kewl!! I'm glad your going to make it out here july!!

Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

That's great about Vegas, Hoff. I'll be there Thursday late to Sunday early, so we will definitely catch up. Actually I guess I'm hoping not to be playing in the WPBT event since I'm also playing WSOP Event #13 that begins on Friday and runs (with some luck!) through Sunday night.

And yes, go back to the gym and get on a schedule. That is definitely the winning formula when you're between jobs. And, lots and lots of MTTs, which it sounds like you've already got covered.

smokkee said...

boat over boat over boat, that does suck. you were ahead when the chips went in, that's all you can do. GL on the new routine. there's a good chance i might stay overnight in Vegas July 8th. we're flying back from NC and connect there @ 11:15am. so i'd have at least a full day of degenerate activities to participate in.

StB said...

To help out with circumstances, I will gladly buy you a beer during the tournament. Please tell me you haven't given up drinking.

iamhoff said...

Very good point and nice offer. I have most certainly NOT given up drinking. I will accept any and all offers of adult beverages. I might even be feeling lucky enough in Vegas to buy a round for the tourney!

BTW, Hoyazo, 2 things. First, wicked congrats on making the WSOP. I will come find your punk ass and rail you at some point. You better hoy somebody, at least as much as you can, given whatever chip denominations you might have in front of you. Also, I had somebody hoy me during a rebuy madness tournament. I asked if they knew you, but got no chat. I did hold an 8-2 off, so I did fold. Thought you'd find that interesting.

Joe Speaker said...

Sorry to hear about the layoff, hoff (and for being so late to the support party). Best of luck in the search and yeah, careful with the poker as escape. Trust me on that one. :)

Miami Don said...

Glad you're going to make it Hoff.

Schedule
noon- wake-up
12:15pm- coffee and read blogs
2pm- gym
4pm- relax
7pm- live poker
3am- write blog
4am- sleep

Repeat Daily!

Raveen said...

since i am a degenerate right now out of school till september and playing poker during the day 2-3 hours ill let you in a schedule that works for me

1. Wake up Whenever i Want
2. Play till wheenever i want
3. Girlfriend comes home around 5:00pm
4. Go out to dinner
5. Watch TV till bed time

Later rinse and Repeat.

ps...if its the weekend just add drinking between 2-5 and number 6 would be wake up hungover....

Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

Rav,
Enjoy that schedule while you can bro, your clinicals will soon give you a taste of the nightmare to come! Although my money is on you cashing in a big WSOP or WPT event and going: Residency? No thanks!

Hoff - if you need a laugh and haven't been by my homestead in a few days...have I got something for you. Let me know what you think, but I'm pretty sure I just found the Blog of the Year...