Tuesday, June 13, 2006

So...

Well, it is official. For the first time in my life, I have filed for unemployment. Fortunately, I have poker and other things like this to keep me amused in between scouring Monster, HotJobs, Craigslist, etc. I have gotten my resume out there to several different jobs, and even made it to a final interview for one of them. Unfortunately, I just got called by the recruiter and was told they went with somebody who had a stronger tech background. I figured that would happen, but it still sucks. Oh well. Time to keep grinding.

Poker is fun, but results have been decidedly mixed. I'm not relying on it as a source of income, but it is a nice thought. Had fun at the Hoy last night. That is fast becoming quite the popular brogger event, with such demented souls as Smokkee, FishyMcDonk, Drewspop, Jules, Kat, GCox, Sox,Waffles, our host, the millionaire and his wife, the movie star, the professor and...oops, wrong show. But you get the idea. I made the final table, but couldn't quite make the money. Congrats to Jules for taking down the whole bloody thing. A couple of bad beats and poor judgements today notwithstanding, I'm getting deeper into the MTTs, which is a good thing. I actually made small money in a 180 yesterday, which was a first. I can do it, now I just need to improve enough to do it consistently. 17th out of 180, 38th out of 300+ in the FT $6500 guarantee, and around 40th out of 238 in the FT $5000 guarantee. I'm making progress, and (un)fortunately I seem to have plenty of time to work on my game.

Oh well. Nothing else to do but keep grinding, both at the job hunt and at poker. I haven't written it off yet, but this whole job thing may kill Vegas for me this summer. I really want to go, but I have to be realistic. Now, if I can make one good cash in one of the guarantees or a 180, that's another story. Think good thoughts.

20 comments:

drewspop said...

Sorry to hear it. Good luck finding something quick man. See you around the monitor somewhere.

Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

I am definitely sending good thoughts your way, Hoff, both on the job front and at the tables.

102pounds said...

Hey

I hope you can get a Gig soon enough

Roddy

iamhoff said...

Damn, such quick responses! Thanx for all the good juju. I wanna go to Vegas! I gotta find something. Or...there is the $17k guarantee tonight!

Matt Silverthorn said...

Damn, that's a bad beat man. Good luck in the job hunt. I'm sure you'll find something soon!

Miami Don said...

Stay positive my friend.

So many times in my life such good things have come from circumstances that I thought at the time were unfortunate.

Keep plugging away and the tides will turn, they always do.

Wes said...

Good luck at the tables and life.

CarmenSinCity said...

Good luck!! I hope you win so you can make it out here to Vegas. I think I'm gonna start playing in the Hoy from now on since my new work schedule doesn't allow me to play in the mookie anymore.

Klopzi said...

Looking for work sucks, but I'm sure you'll do fine. Finding work is far less of a grind then poker, so consider yourself well-armed in that regard.

Good luck! Here's hoping you find something soon or book a big win!

brett jungblut said...

We're still on for friday, right? I'd like to take some of that gub'ment cheese away from you.

Raveen said...

gl man im sure things will turn around u just gotta get through he down time

iamhoff said...

Again, thanx everyone for the good vibes. Job hunting sucks, but at least the weather here in SD is nice. Finish my run thru the boards, play a couple of tourneys, and maybe hit the beach for a while. May as well enjoy it while I can. And anybody who's going to be in San Diego on Friday, homegame at my place! Yes Mr. Mehoph, the game is still on! Expected start time around 7:30. Bring money...I gots to get $$$ to go to Vegas!

Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Best of luck, Hoff.
At the least you can always hit up good ol' JohnnyPodo or WSOP112288 for a buck during one of our blogger tournaments. I'm sure they'll be around for the Mookie tonight.

smokkee said...

hang in there homie something will come your way.

River Driver said...

How goes the search, big brother? Ross didn't get the AutoZone gig; they went with the other guy. He's not sure if he's disappointed or not. I was hoping they'd offer him some stupidly exorbitant amount of money, but no such luck. I just need to win the lottery...

MusikMom said...

Holy bat sh1t! You too???? Sorry I haven't read your blog in awhile. I'm afraid to look at your sis's blog, might jinx her. Oh wait a minute, teachers don't get laid off. :-)
I finally posted today so please visit if you'd like to join the "bitter-fest", lol.

Cheers,
Mon :-)

mookie99 said...

Good luck with the job hunting. See you around at the various blogger tourneys.

Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

Alright Hoff, time to post an update brotha - if only to keep the blogging muscles in tact. What're you up to and how's it going? Enquiring minds want to know...

Nick Christy said...

hoff, sorry to hear about ya man. Good luck getting back, but while enjoy the poker while you can...

k. said...

hi there ...

sorry to hear about the job stuff ... looking forward to reading that you just landed a better job than the one you had.

k