Saturday, June 10, 2006

A Little of This, A Little of That

So. Quick post to catch up on things.

It's looking more and more like I'm going to be laid off. Fortunately, I had a 2nd interview with a slightly different type of company. Instead of working directly for a homebuilder who actually sells the homes they build, I interviewed with a land development company. This is a company who buys up large... tracts of land (points to anybody who can name the reference) that range from several hundred acres to several thousand acres, and they get all the master approvals and entitlements to build. For those in the So Cal area, think Tustin Ranch or Ladera Ranch. Those near Austin, try Falcon Pointe, north of Austin. They then sell smaller tracts to the individual homebuilders (like KB Home, DR Horton, etc.) who construct 100-200 lot subdivisions within the master community. Because of the timing of getting the master approvals, it is easier and less costly to be able to stockpile raw land than it is to have a cluster of 150 homes that you are trying to sell. Anyway, the interview went fairly well. It is a much more tech-oriented position than anything I've ever done. I'm not afraid of technology (blogger notwithstanding), but I don't have a lot of applications experience, so that will probably hurt me. Either way, I did handle things fairly well and I think I made a good impression. There were probably two others to be interviewed (at least one was done before me today), so I should know something by the end of next week. By whatever method you send good thoughts (prayers, meditation, whatever) I'll take whatever you want to throw my way. I'm sure the poker gods at least will reward you by letting you win at least one hand that you absolutely should win. You'll have to check with them (sorry, don't have the link) to find out when you are scheduled for your karmic returns. Many thanx and return good vibes to all who've offered up comments since the dark period has befallen me. As others have noted, it's good to know there's a sympathetic voice out there.

I've managed to win a few marshmallow peep sex tokens on Tilt over this past week, and I put one to good use Thursday evening in the $6500 guarantee. 329 players entered, top 36 spots paid, and the top prize was something north of $2000. Midway through the first hour, they rebalanced the tables and TripJax wound up at the table. We both held our own for a while, and then he got moved again. He wound up doing fairly well, and busted out around 60th or so. Somewhere around the first break, Weak Player popped into the chatbox as an observer. Turns out he was in it too, fortunately at a different table. We were both doing fairly well, position-wise well within the bubble. And then disaster. This is not a bad beat, so I don't owe anybody anything. I was dominated from start to finish, but it was one of those hands that makes you just hate everything. Big stack bully was two seats to my right, in this case in the SB. This push tard has been bullying the whole table all night, reraising everybody, so I was just waiting for an opportunity to double through him. And then it happens. I get dealt AKo UTG. Blinds are 400/800 or 600/1200, I forget which, and I pop it up to 7 or 8x the BB, which is about a quarter of my stack. It folds around to assmunch, who shoves. He's got me covered at least 3 to 1 at this point, so I'm going all in. Figuring him for a steal, I call, flipping over my AK. At best, I put him on Ax or a medium pair. And he flips over rockets. I bust out in 38th, two off the money! Yes I was dominated start to finish, but why did this asshole have to pick that time to have one of the few hands that could beat me? After that I hung out and railed Weak, and Sox Lover and President Dave Lee showed up to rail also. Such fun giving a group smackdown to somebody who got pissed when Weak stacked him. The man was en fuego. Catching cards, stealing blinds, and getting lucky when he needed it. He finally got busted out in 3rd, clearing a very fat payout. Way to work it buddy! I gotta do that one again.

And now that the bad is over, here's the good. The scene is another marshmallow peep sex token SNG. I forget who originally coined that phrase. The first person I read it from was Change 100 or Gracie (two beautiful ladies...how can I be expected to remember anything?!?), but it is a very accurate description. $8.70 18 player turbo. 6th place gets $14, and the top 5 get the $26 token. Stupid huge payout structure and the play is as soft as anything this side of Party. So it is hand 4. I've been in a few pots and lost a few races. As such, my stack is hovering around 1100. And I wake up to find rockets in LP. It folds to MP, who pops a 5x raise. With my rockets, I pop it up another 6x. The BB shoves. He's got both of us covered, and MP has me covered as well. When we all flipped them over, here's what it was.


I was very happy to see those cards flipped over, but I was still worried about getting my aces cracked. Amazingly enough they held, more than tripling me up. Not a bad way to start the tournament, and it helped me wind up the big stack once we eliminated 6th place and started shoving. Nice little bit of satisfaction. I've actually been playing fairly well, the few times I've played. I picked up an 11+1 45 on Stars and won it last week, and this week I've won a couple of tokens on Tilt and took 3rd in a 15+1 18 player on Stars. And I'm not disappointed in my play in the $6500. I'm actually pleased with it. I've found that I've gotten too aggressive and loose, especially in the later stages when I've gotten a decent stack together. A stupid call here and a stupid chase (damn Hiltons with an ace on the board), and my stack is decimated. In the 6500, though, I played somewhat tighter, but defintely more controlled. If I can string together a few solid victories and money finishes, I might be on to something. I hope so, because I may not have an income soon. I'll try to get into a more regular posting and playing schedule, but until such time, I'll simply post and play when I can steal a few moments. See ya out there.

7 comments:

drewspop said...

Good luck man. Good vibes flowing your way on the jobfront.

RoccoBoxer said...

Good luck - poker is fun, but a job is a serious thing! I wish you the best. Good Luck!!!

smokkee said...

you can learn sum stoopid applications. hope those guys come through for you.

River Driver said...

I hate to correct you, but the quote is "She's got huge...tracts of land".

Hope the company you interviewed with has huge tracts of land for you.

mookie99 said...

Good luck on the job front.

Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

best line from that dialogue - "let's not argue and bicker over who killed who..."

here's sincerely hoping everything works itself to your advantage hoff.

iamhoff said...

Thanx one and all for the good juju. Late next week is what they've said. In the meanwhile, I've been sending out resumes to any and all possibilities. I shall keep everyone updated, and good thoughts back to all of you, use them wherever or whenever they are needed.

Jill, thanx for the correction. Iak, that is a great line, but not the best. The best is when they wind up at the castle, where Zoot has been playing with the "grail-shaped beacon", and they are to all be spanked. "And then, the oral sex!!!" You just can't come up with dialogue like that today!