Saturday, May 13, 2006

What an ugly morning

Yeah, waaah waaah. I try not to post too many bad beats because A) nobody really likes hearing about them, and B) I get beat often enough by a better hand that why whine about it. Until this morning...

GF is going shopping with some friends. Hoff has time to play pokah!! w00t! Fire 'em up! First out of the blocks is a Stars 180. I'm not getting any real traction. I stole a few blinds, but found myself with 1100 chips at 25/50, with hiltons in MP. A few calls and I pop it up to 200. The button calls and everybody else folds. Flop is Td 7d 4h. Wanting to scare off any flush draws, I push. Villan calls with A9d. I'm barely ahead on the coinflip, 57-43. And the river brings the Kd and IGH in 117th.

OK. The next SNG spinning up was a 11+1 45 player turbo, so I jumped in. I was doing alright in this, until my BB Mookie (T8) ran into the SB T9 on a flop of 897 rainbow. That dropped me down to 500 in chips. I hung around for a bit, and then got busted on another coinflip where I was barely ahead (51-49). I had K5o in the BB, and shoved. I got called by JTh, and busted by another river flush. IGH in 28th.

The bad luck can't continue much more, can it? Let's find out. The next SNG spinning up is a 6+.50 45 player. Maybe the lower limit will help. I was actually playing fairly well in this one, and I'd managed to get up to almost 4000 chips by Level 6 (100/200). Then my AcJh ran into KhJc. The flop paired the J, but brought 2 heart rags. I bet my TPTK fairly hard, but villain stayed in. I didn't want to shove, figuring that if he was staying he probably had a higher pair. Two more heart rags on the turn and river, and I bet my flush hard. He calls and that cost me over half my stack. So I missed a few flops on medium pairs to cut the stack down more. I wind up with KQo, and I decide to make my stand. One caller with KJo. Sweet. Roughly a 73-27 favorite. Unfortunately the flop pairs his J. I get no more help, and IGH in 18th.

Do I continue the carnage, or run away with my tail between my legs? Me likey pain, so me jump into 15+1 18 player turbo. This one started off promising, with me almost doubling up on the 1st hand, with Ad3d in the SB. Call the BB and flop the nut flush. I never did figure out what the other player had, because they mucked. The board had a pair of ducks on it, so I'm assuming a busted set of 2s. Then the ugliness ensued. I get dealt A2o in the BB. It checks around to me, with 1 caller. Flop comes A2J rainbow. I lead out with a pot sized bet of around 100, and villain shoves. I figured if he had AJ, he would have bet harder preflop (he was very aggressive, that's why he was the short stack so early), so I called. It was only another 200 to call, and he flips up KTo. I'm way ahead at this point, 84-16. But wait for it...YES!!! A queen on the river!!! So that cost about a quarter of my stack. 2 hands later, I find hiltons in LP. The shortstack dude is still the shortstack, and he shoves, with A5o. It's 450 to go, so why not. I'm a 70-30 favorite. Flop comes down Ks Th Ad. OK. He paired his ace, but I've got a gutshot to broadway. Instead of the J, or even another Q, another ace falls, sucking up almost half of my remaining stack! So I hang around, losing chips to blinds. I'm down to 1000 in chips at 200/400/25, and getting nervous. I find J3o in the BB. 2 callers let me check. Flop comes down QJ3 rainbow. First to act, I shove. For some reason I have this vision of somebody having QJ. Sure as hell, MP calls, and flips over QJ. IGH in 14th. Starting to feel dizzy.

Maybe the next one will be better. I jump into another 15+1 18 player. I'm hovering around 1500 in chips, when I find AJo in the BB at 50/100. Button raises 200, so I call. Flop is rags, T38o. We both check. Turn is a 9, giving me an OESD. I bet out 300, and he raises to 700. It's only another 400 into a pot of around 1650, so I call. Besides, I have the OESD and donkeys always draw! The river brings a 5, not helping me out at all. When villain shoves in for his last 1000, I fold. Several orbits later, I find myself blinded in with 89o. No help and IGH in 13th. Room is starting to spin, and I'm seeing spots. Maybe one more.

The only thing loading up is another 15+1 18 player, so baby hit me one more time (sorry, I hate Britney, but the lyrics work. Sue me). I think I'd been in 3 hands, when this happened.
*********** # 16 **************
PokerStars Game #4922913326: Tournament #24680977, $15+$1 Hold'em No
Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2006/05/13 - 16:18:24 (ET)
Table '24680977 1' 9-max Seat #9 is the button
Seat 1: Aint Jomama (1395 in chips)
Seat 2: SimplySau7 (3300 in chips)
Seat 3: bridun (1940 in chips)
Seat 4: homer1971 (635 in chips)
Seat 5: iamhoff (1510 in chips)
Seat 6: F4phantom (3415 in chips)
Seat 9: jman094 (1305 in chips)
Aint Jomama: posts small blind 50
SimplySau7: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to iamhoff [Qd As]
bridun: folds
homer1971: folds
iamhoff: calls 100
F4phantom: folds
jman094: folds
Aint Jomama: folds
SimplySau7: raises 300 to 400
iamhoff: calls 300
*** FLOP *** [4s Qc 8h]
SimplySau7: bets 2900 and is all-in
iamhoff: calls 1110 and is all-in
*** TURN *** [4s Qc 8h] [Tc]
*** RIVER *** [4s Qc 8h Tc] [6d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
SimplySau7: shows [Td Th] (three of a kind, Tens)
iamhoff: shows [Qd As] (a pair of Queens)
SimplySau7 collected 3070 from pot

According to Two Dimes, I'm a 90-10 favorite when we shoved all in, so I was feeling pretty good. When that T fell on the turn, I actually let out a wail of despair. OK. I've had enough now. I'm going to curl up in the fetal position and dream of my happy place, a place where my cards hold up. I don't know if it really exists, but I can dream.

2 comments:

Klopzi said...

I don't mind bad beat stories - let's me know that I'm not alone.

Sorry about the crap luck.

iamhoff said...

So it goes. Normally I probably wouldn't have kept playing that long, but I finally had a free chunk of time. I had to play! At least I'm feeling some luck on the other sites.