Friday, May 26, 2006

Bloggers and Poker

Couple of housekeeping things. The blogroll continues to grow. Three new ones added today are Fish Soup (Sox Lover), The Flight of Iakaris (a stellar Iron Maiden tune, btw), and Little Acorn Man. I’d come across Sox several times during recent blogger tournaments (WWdN, Mookie, DADI), seen many comments he’s left on other blogs, and started tracking him down to read. Sox is very much a student of the game, and is very thorough in analyzing hands, pot odds, implied odds, and the occasional fold that makes you go, huh? So he gets a link. I’ve also seen Acorn’s comments to other bloggers. I searched him out only to find out that he already added me to his sidebar. At least I finally caught up to ya. Acorn’s a Scottish blogger who plays a mix of tourneys and ring play, with the stats to indicate that he’s a pretty solid player. He also mixes in some humorous non-poker content from time to time, just to keep things fresh. He’s also going to get to hang with Joe Speaker on his upcoming European Freedom Tour. I sense an odd mix of impending doom and frivolity. Finally we come to Iakaris. I noticed his comments on blogs a little over a month ago, and sure as hell his first ever post was just over a month ago. It seems that reading Trip and Hoyazo finally helped push him over the edge into poker-blogging. In fact, he has become probably the most fervent disciple of deadly poker move known as The Hoy, that anyone has ever come across. If he goes all-in minus 1, be ready for some fireworks. But beyond his insight and enjoyment of all things poker, the dude is a riot! Most of us have read Trip’s recent meme, and many of us commented. Iak’s responses actually caused Trip to devote a post to them. Go read the whole list, just be sure to wear your Depends for when you pee your pants laughing. The roll is actually becoming quite large and unwieldy, much like my junk, so I may try to actually organize it this weekend (the blogroll, not my junk).

Actually played some pokah last night. One of the schools that dear and patient GF teaches at is currently in session, so Thursdays are poker night for Hoff. After walking and feeding the doggie, I fired up Stars. My MTT results have been extremely bloody lately, so I’ve been playing more ring, usually .05/.10 - .10/.25 NLHE or PLO, and I’ve actually been +EV at it. But I loves me some MTT/SNG action, so I signed up for a $4.40 180 on Stars. While that was spinning up, I jumped into a .10/.25 NLHE table and pwned it. Because I was just dinking around, I only bought in for the minimum ($10). I’d doubled up shortly after the 180 started, and was close to tripling up not long after that. The 180 started off very well, also, running me up into the top ten in not much time at all. In fact, it was the same hand, at the same time in both that popped me up early. I got dealt 55 in both. In the 180 my set stacked someone with KJd who was on a nut flush draw that didn’t happen. In the cash game it was pretty similar. Somebody got all in on a wheel draw that didn’t complete. Shortly after that, the girlie chat thingy beeped and Drewspop was asking if I was playing in the WWdN: Not. I thought I’d missed it, but he said that I had 6 minutes to sign up. So having done my damage in the cash game, I jumped out of it and signed up for Darval’s Not tournament (I’ll add the link to the roll this weekend). A small and intimate gathering of some of the poker blogging community’s finest characters, including Drews, Hoyazo, Sowbug (or Foldbug or Bubblebug, depending on where the game is), Waffles, JJ, Smokee and others (too many links, I’ll deal with them later). So I’m running pretty well in both…I’m hovering around the top 20 in the 180 with around 100 remaining, and I’m running 2nd or 3rd most of the way thru the dub dub dee ehn. My demise in the 180 was one of those horrible moments…aces get cracked. Villain (who was an above-average stack and in MP) pops it up to 300 with the blinds 50/100, so I’m thinking he’s got a decent hand, probably AK. I’m the CO and I think about it and call (my first mistake). Flop is K high with 2 hearts, including the K. One of my aces is the heart, so I’m not too worried about a flush. Villain bets out 500, making me think that he is on the AK and now has the lovely TPTK. I call. Turn is a blank. Another 500 and another call. River is a heart and he shoves. I should’ve folded, but I was pretty well committed at that point, and he flips over Q3h! Huh? Ok. I can see the action post flop, trying to scare off anybody else, but the preflop bet is what screwed me. Hindsight and all, I should’ve reraised, but I was greedy and figured I could bleed him dry with my rockets. Meh. Back to the bloggers. We’re at the final table, and somehow I knew it wouldn’t last. My first problem was Hoyazo. I get dealt the Tourist (A7) and UTG did a min-raise, just to see where I was. I was getting “decent” respect, and I figured only real hands would call or reraise. As the short stack, Hoy comes back with a reraise of The Hoyazo™. Having him covered almost 3 to 1, I just called. The flop was junk, so I min-bet him all in and he flips over AJ. In the end, the board paired tens, and I was outkicked. Two hands later would be my demise. I get dealt KQh in MP. It folds to me, and I pop it up to 300 to go. My boy Chris reraises me to 1000. Now Chris is the big stack and I know he likes to bluff-raise preflop, so I figured he was just playing big-stack bully. I called. Flop comes down A3K, no hearts. Chris bets 500 and I call. A Q falls on the turn, giving me two pair. Chris shoves me all in and flips over…wait for it…Aces!! Yes, he made the table image work for him. If I had to lose, it may as well be to him. I busted out in 7th. JJOK made it to 5th, and the short stack at that point, Sowbug, turned into Foldbug hoping to avoid the bubble. Unfortunately it didn’t work and he busted in 4th. Chris hung in there for a while, but ultimately busted in 3rd, leaving Smokee heads up with The Hammer Player. I missed the battle due to dear and patient GF arriving home from teaching, but ultimately Hoyazo took it down. Well played, everyone.

Have a great weekend, everybody.

6 comments:

littleacornman said...

Thanks mate.Nice to catch up with you too.

RoccoBoxer said...

Funny pics, and thanks for pimping my blog a little. I added you to my links...

Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

Hey Hoff,

Thanks for the shoutout, brotha. Reading you, Chris, Jordan and Hoy has got me seriously thinking about testing the MTT water. (Because, ya know, there's not enough dead money in there without mine tossed in!)

How 'bout our boy Hoyazo taking down the Party 40K! FEAR THE HOY! By the way YOU get full credit for creating this memorable and tilt-inducing moniker. I remember the first time I read it in your comment on Hoy's post I thought, "Perfect."

See ya at WWdN or The Mookie.

iamhoff said...

Stupid huge props to Hoyazo on taking down the Party 40k!

Good reading you Acorn. Thanks for the link, Rocco. I'm sure we'll see each other at the various brogger tourneys.

Iak, dude your post on Trip's meme was a riot! Thanks for the credit on The Hoyazo. I've seen it, I've used it, and I've been victimized by it. I believe I've hit for the cycle! Jump into the MTTs. They are fun. The key is chipping up early, just like Hoy said. That's been my problem. That and the dealers at Stars don't seem to like me. They'll give me decent cards, but no help on the flop. So it goes. Are you on yahoo chat? I'm ochoff on yahoo chat. Send me an email (iamhoff@gmail.com) with your chat name and I'll get you hooked up. During a lot of the tourneys we get voice chat going (you too, Rocco and Acorn). Crazy fun stuff. See ya out there, definitely at the DADI on Monday.

FishyMcDonk said...

Dude, time to nip the GF poker-tilt in the bud. You need to explain you have priorities. And poker trumps nearly everything. Get it over with now before she becomes your wife.

Joe Speaker said...

The European Freedom Tour. Awesome. Dude, you gotta tell me these things sooner so I can get t-shirts made.