Saturday, March 11, 2006

Assorted Poker Content

Hey! Actual poker content! Between the jury duty and being on the road all week, I haven't gotten in much poker. It's just as well. When I've been playing well, I've been the bubble boy. When I haven't, well, let's just say that CJ's title of Luckbox is under no threat from me. Admittedly, a couple of bubbles were due to the GF. She's not supposed to wake up after she goes to sleep, 2 nights in a row. That cost me $55 in buy-ins where I had to click "sitting out" and come back just in time to be all in and bubble out. Ugh. New rule, agreed to by the lovely GF. After dog walking, I am allowed to wake her. If she wants to go back to sleep, I'm free to play. If she needs me to fulfill my boyfriend duties of talking, backrubs, etc. (you weren't thinking about sex, were you?), then I do that until she goes to sleep. Then it's pokertime. Of course that puts me online at midnight or so, west coast, so there aren't many people on at that point.

Now, an example of when things go right. I most likely wouldn't have played if there had been a preflop raise, but if you're going to check the hammer around to me, so be it. A nice junk flop gave me plenty of "big blind junk that hit" cover, and the hammer prevails.

And now an example of how the river giveth and the river taketh away. First, the give. I'm shortstacked and wake up to AJ in the SB. Here we go. BB is the big stack, so he calls, just to see if he'll get lucky. He did, until the river.

PokerStars Game #4250004289: Tournament #21128431, Hold'em No Limit -
Level VIII (200/400) - 2006/03/11 - 11:17:31 (ET)
Table '21128431 1' Seat #5 is the button
Seat 2: Pickles34 (5293 in chips)
Seat 4: spacemandave (4669 in chips)
Seat 5: WannaGoAllin (5900 in chips)
Seat 6: iamhoff (630 in chips)
Seat 7: Crackrock11 (10508 in chips)
Pickles34: posts the ante 25
spacemandave: posts the ante 25
WannaGoAllin: posts the ante 25
iamhoff: posts the ante 25
Crackrock11: posts the ante 25
iamhoff: posts small blind 200
Crackrock11: posts big blind 400
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to iamhoff [Jc Ah]
Pickles34: folds
spacemandave: folds
WannaGoAllin: folds
iamhoff: raises 205 to 605 and is all-in
Crackrock11: calls 205
Crackrock11 said, "lol"
*** FLOP *** [Ks 5c Qh]
*** TURN *** [Ks 5c Qh] [4h]
iamhoff said, "noooooo"
*** RIVER *** [Ks 5c Qh 4h] [Ts]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
iamhoff: shows [Jc Ah] (a straight, Ten to Ace)
Crackrock11: shows [5s 4c] (two pair, Fives and Fours)
iamhoff said, "whew"
Crackrock11 said, "hahaha"
iamhoff collected 1335 from pot
WannaGoAllin said, "nice catch"

And now how the river taketh away. It was almost the ideal situation. We shared a card, but I had him out kicked. Unfortunately, his lower kicker actually helped him.

PokerStars Game #4250031485: Tournament #21128431, Hold'em No Limit -
Level IX (300/600) - 2006/03/11 - 11:21:26 (ET)
Table '21128431 1' Seat #4 is the button
Seat 2: Pickles34 (1483 in chips)
Seat 4: spacemandave (3594 in chips)
Seat 5: WannaGoAllin (9225 in chips)
Seat 6: iamhoff (1520 in chips)
Seat 7: Crackrock11 (11178 in chips)
Pickles34: posts the ante 50
spacemandave: posts the ante 50
WannaGoAllin: posts the ante 50
iamhoff: posts the ante 50
Crackrock11: posts the ante 50
WannaGoAllin: posts small blind 300
iamhoff: posts big blind 600
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to iamhoff [Tc Ah]
Crackrock11: folds
Pickles34: folds
spacemandave: folds
WannaGoAllin: raises 600 to 1200
iamhoff: raises 270 to 1470 and is all-in
WannaGoAllin: calls 270
*** FLOP *** [9s 2h 2d]
*** TURN *** [9s 2h 2d] [Jc]
*** RIVER *** [9s 2h 2d Jc] [Kc]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
WannaGoAllin: shows [Ts Qs] (a straight, Nine to King)
iamhoff: shows [Tc Ah] (a pair of Deuces)
WannaGoAllin collected 3190 from pot
WannaGoAllin said, "gg"

And let me close with some sorta non poker-related content. I just want to say how outrageously proud I am to be a part of this blogging community. Several bloggers have recently had loved ones pass away, and the rest of us have been there to offer kind words, virtual hugs, and dial a shots for support. BG decided that he wasn't pooping efficiently enough and wound up with a perforated colon. Bloggers got together and decided to transfer fundage into his poker accounts to help defray medical and living expenses while he was out of work. And now Joe Speaker is going thru an ugly divorce. The bloggers have been so quick to post kind (and some not so kind) words, dial a shots, offers of vacations, and overall good vibes. Watching this group in action, a group whose common interests include activities that many describe as "vice", gives me hope for humanity. Sorry for getting all deep and meaningful on ya...too much Jack Daniels and not enough sleep last night. Don't worry. I'll be back to being the degenerate you all love soon enough.

2 comments:

DrChako said...

Random thoughts:

- Blogging. Now that I'm nearing 100 posts, I'm actually starting to feel like a member of this community. It's pretty cool, eh?

- AJ - hate it. Nice when it hits, though.

-A10 - hate it worse. I've heard the comment about A10 "unplayable from any position."

- Significant others interfering with poker. Meh. Still, mouse clicks vs. soft shoulders... may be worth the $55 loss.

iamhoff said...

Pretty cool on the posts. Not sure how many I've done, but been going for a little over 4 months. Probably around 100. It is a pretty good community.

AJ - Not my fave, but not bad

AT - Ya know, you're the 2nd person today to tell me how AT is unplayable from any position. My problem is I've had it hit just enough to keep coming back to it. Kinda like dropping one birdie in a round of golf. Doesn't matter the final score. You make the bird, you feel good enough to keep hacking.

Yeah, it's worth the $55, and then some. It just gets frustrating at times. As you say, meh.