Thursday, February 16, 2006

Who Are These People?

So tonight I wanted to play my usual 45 SnG. While waiting for it to load up, I jumped into an 18 player SnG as well. Had I realized I wasn't sitting down at a poker table but rather in a corral full of donkeys, I might not have played. I've had the bad beats before, but they were at least from something approaching a reasonable hand...Ax, suited connectors, low pairs, etc. It sucks when you're holding JJ and you get beat by a 77 when they flop a set or something, but at least they had a hand to start with. This is the hand that knocked me out of the 18 player game in 12th.

*********** # 17 **************
PokerStars Game #3989174987: Tournament #19821687, Hold'em No Limit -
Level IV (50/100) - 2006/02/16 - 03:01:38 (ET)
Table '19821687 2' Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: SHARK85 (2315 in chips)
Seat 3: Rommel29 (3325 in chips)
Seat 4: mykeofoz (2815 in chips)
Seat 5: dvldog11 (3900 in chips)
Seat 6: SlimNick (1530 in chips)
Seat 7: iamhoff (1315 in chips)
Rommel29: posts small blind 50
mykeofoz: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to iamhoff [Jc Js]
dvldog11: folds
SlimNick: folds
iamhoff: raises 200 to 300
SHARK85: folds
Rommel29: folds
mykeofoz: calls 200
*** FLOP *** [6c 8s 7h]
mykeofoz: checks
iamhoff: bets 300
mykeofoz: raises 1900 to 2200
iamhoff: calls 715 and is all-in
*** TURN *** [6c 8s 7h] [8h]
*** RIVER *** [6c 8s 7h 8h] [Qs]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
mykeofoz: shows [4d 8c] (three of a kind, Eights)
iamhoff: shows [Jc Js] (two pair, Jacks and Eights)
mykeofoz collected 2680 from pot

And I'm still not going to excuse this because he was in the BB. I still put out a 3xBB raise preflop and this ass-munch called with a 48o, and then raised my JJ all in on a pair of 8s with a gutshot draw to a straight! Seeing that 3rd 8 fall on the turn just killed me, and iamhoff goes bye bye.

In the 45 player, the donkeys were also running. Here's a hand that cost me 2/3 of my stack. I'll give this guy credit for slow playing enough to keep me going, but his preflop moves didn't make sense. Your hero is the #2 stack, and finds AKo UTG. I fire out with a 4xBB raise. It folds around to the SB, who calls. BB folds. Flop is Jxx. SB checks, so I launch a continuation bet of just under half the pot, and get called. Turn is a 10, leaving to partial straights and two partial flushes. Villain goes all-in for 460 (3xBB). In hindsight (ain't that grand) I should've folded. I just didn't put this guy on any kind of made hand. Besides, he'd been bluffing all night and about 3 hands earlier, he called a blind with a 23o, and beat my 2 pair with a set of 2s. So I figured he was full of shit, and called his all-in. Besides...wait for it...I had outs! A gutshot to Broadway was enough justification for me! Dude flips over KJo for a pair of Jacks. The board pairs on the river, and my pair loses to his 2 pair. Admittedly, KJo is a decent hand, but not one that I'd feel like calling a 4xBB raise with. So now I'm short stacked, but I've still got about 4BB to go, so I wait. Finally, I get A4c in the BB. The other short stack (asshole from earlier, told ya he tried to bluff a lot of crap) calls, and the big stack on the button pushes both of us all in. I show my A4c. Asshole shows A3d. And Villain shows 5d5h. Flop pairs the aces, but turns into a 4 outer flush for 55, and once again I'm gone.

I'm going to bed. I'll probably dream of donkeys. Maybe I'll read Daddy's post on how to fuck a donkey, and plan my revenge.

4 comments:

Klopzi said...

The bad beats (or bad luck) suck sometimes, but poker needs the type of players who'll play any two cards. Without 'em, I guarantee that low limit (or micro-limit) players like us make no coin whatsoever.

I had a guy call a 10xBB pre-flop raise with his 65s. He hit the nut straight on the flop and I played the role of donkey by pushing on the turn when an ace hit. Them's the breaks, I guess.

Just keep playing - the donks will get what's coming to them. Time is on your side in this matter, trust me.

iamhoff said...

I hear ya, and I know that it's all part of the fun. Donkeys are around, and often enough they donk their chips into our stacks, but sometimes they're just getting all kinds of lucky. It just kind of struck me that two completely different SnGs with presumably different player pools would donk me all in the same night. Oh well. There's always tonight!

TripJax said...

Damn those donkeys! But remember, it is one long session...blah, blah, blah...still doesn't make it easy huh?!

Hey thanks for responding about my car situation. Here is what I wrote at my blog...just copying and pasting, but if you get a hankerin' please hit up my blog again and leave me a comment...

Very long winded so sorry about that...

------------------

I'm usually low on the totem pole when it comes to the car situation, since I just drive to work and wifey is the one carting the kids around. Therefore, once my car is gone I will probably take over the main car which is a 95 Mitsubishi Galant. It is still in good condition (knocked on wood just now) so I'm happy there.

This means whatever we buy will be a family style car for wifey and the kids. No fun for me, but an upgrade is in order now that we have two kids and wifey will probably be babysitting as well so we need the space. Wifey refuses to get a mini van so this leaves me with not too many options. Maybe you can help me from here.

I really want to get a SUVish...sport utilityish car type like a Chrysler Pacifica or Buick Rendezvous. The reason I like these cars is they #1 are not minivans, but have an optional 3rd row. #2 they don't look horrible.

The plan is to get a used one, but not older than 2004. I'm trying to find something in the $14k - $18k range. My question to you would be do you know of any other cars that have the optional 3rd row seating that aren't incredibly expensive. I don't want to break the bank, but also don't want to get a crap car....

Oh, and the reason for the low mileage...I live 1/3 of a mile from where I work and when I get home I use the family car. This car I currently have goes from point A to point B and that is it. Also, we only travel a few times a year so we don't rack up many miles. I would probably do well to lease since I don't rack up mileage, but I just don't know enough about the +/- of leasing vs. buying (other than the typical own vs. not own).

Sorry for the long winded response.

drewspop said...

No excuse for calling the pre-flop raise with 48o, none. But, once eeyore hit top pair, probably figured you on the continuation bet with 2 big cards, not the overpair. Probably why he pushed, figuring not to get called. Of course, I am sure I am giving him way to much credit for knowing what a continuation bet even is and probably thought he clearly had the best hand.

The donkeys will inherit the world. It just sucks that we never get to share the laugher story when this happens and the dingdong doesn't catch that third 8 right? Whenever I win a big hand, all I can think about is the narrowly escaped missed that I had to endure to get there.