Thursday, February 23, 2006

What Do You Listen to When You're Supposed to Be Working?

As most of you know, while I listen to most types of music, I'm very much a headbanger. Growing up in the 80s, what do you really expect? But since heavy metal doesn't really go over well in the office, I like to listen to smooth jazz, acid jazz, mellow house, and other similar things. Recently, I got my iTunes set up on my work computer and have been busily bringing in flash drives and CDs to load up my library. Here's what I've been listening to at work lately. I had a double disc of Kruder & Dorfmeister mixes and a 4 disc set from Jaguar that was mixed by Jason Bently of KCRW radio in LA, so it's mostly house and acid jazz stuff, at the moment. Take note of track 23 (this is the recently played list, btw, my library is effin' huge!). This is a track that I found out about from EvaCanHang, after Helixx mashed up a mix for the Poker Princess. Righteous stuff. Helixx actually has a couple of mixes up on his page at MixDepot. If you're at all into remixes, mashes, funky house sets or whatever, you owe it to yourself to browse some of the stuff there. Good funky stuff. Anyway, I'm looking in horror at the disaster that my desk has become (such is the life of a road warrior), and I'm wanting to do anything but work on cleaning it up. So I'm blogging! What are all of you listening to at work? I know everybody's got their list for when playing poker, but how about sitting in a boring office, just waiting for the end of the day so that you can haul ass home and hop onto a SNG?

3 comments:

TripJax said...

I dig Kruder & Dorf...

Yeah, I definitely can't get away with much at work. I have my own nicely sized office, but we are still a Financial Services firm with clients coming in and out so I can't play much and not loud at that.

A few thoughts of things I listen to at work to keep it low.

Boards Of Canada
The Clientele
Michael Hedges
Charlie Hunter Trio
Nick Drake
Spiritualized

Dang, I'm drawing a blank. That always happens. One of the bands I can't listen to at work, but I've been jamming to whenever I'm on the computer, is The Mars Volta. That's good shit.

Thanks for giving me a break in the day...good post...

MusikMom said...

Before you judge, I never claimed to be normal. In addition to this 80'ish mix, I also listen to news radio and the "Frank Sinatra" station (Star 96.5 in Phoenix).

As for the music listed below, I copied it one night when I couldn't sleep. There's a lot I should have left off and more I could have included - Hendrix, Zepplin, Ozzy, Dream Theatre, Eric Johnson, and all of my old school R&B stuff. I also have an extensive classical collection. I'm torn between Beethoven and Mozart. Playing both violin and piano it's so hard to choose! I also adore Tchaikovski. Anything from Gershwin as well.

Rust In Peace - Megadeth
Turning Japanese - Vapors
I Am the Highway - Audioslave
For the Love of God - Steve Vai
2112 (All of it!) - Rush
The House is A'Rockin - Stevie Ray Vaughn
Fairies Wear Boots - Black Sabbath
Superunknown - Soundgarden
Vertigo - U2
A Tout Le Mond - Megadeth
De Do Do Do... - The Police
Creeping Death - Metallica
Post-War Dream - Pink Floyd
I Don't Believe in Love - Queensryche
Oye Como Ya - Santana
Peace Sells - Megadeth
Life By the Drop - Stevie Ray Vaughn
Roll the Bones - Rush
Hey Nineteen - Steely Dan
Operation Mindcrime - Queensryche
Fight Fire - Metallica
Love Song - The Cure
Where the Streets Have No Name - U2
Spreading the Disease - Queensryche
Deacon Blues - Steely Dan
Do You Remember? - Queensryche
For Whom the Bell Tolls - Metallica
Your Possible Pasts - Pink Floyd
The KKK Took My Baby Away - The Ramones
The Final Cut - Pink Floyd
Eyes of a Stranger - Queensryche
Samba Pa Ti - Santana
Natural Science - Rush
Enjoy the Silence - D.M.
Babylon Sisters - Steely Dan
I Wanna Be Sedated - The Ramones
Revolution Calling - Queensryche
Bodhisattva - Steely Dan
Pictures of You - The Cure
Roxanne - The Police
Winning - Santana
Blitzkrieg Bop - The Ramones
Gloria - U2
Breaking the Silence - Queensryche
Walking on the Moon - The Police
Policy of Truth - D.M.
Basket Case - Green Day
Rock the Casbah - The Clash
The Lovecats - The Cure
Century's End - Steely Dan
Train in Vain - The Clash
YYZ - Rush
World In My Eyes - D.M.
When I Come Around - Green Day
Beat on the Brat - The Ramones
Let's Go to Bed - The Cure
The Refugee - U2
Symphony of Destruction - Megadeth
Should I Stay... - The Clash
Fell on Black Days - Soundgarden
Seconds - U2

Even though my tastes run eclectic, I can truly say I would rather go blind that live without music!

Happy Friday,
Mon :-)

iamhoff said...

Mon,

Great selections. Eclectic, yes. Scattered, yes. Bitchin' regardless, hell yes! Good stuff with the SRV, Vai, Rush, Queensryche, Megadeth, and on and on. My library is equally eclectic and varied. The screenshot I showed was just my recently played on my work computer. A sampling here at home includes tracks by: The Descendents, Carbon Leaf, Fourplay, Ani DiFranco, 7 Seconds, St. Germaine, Rush, Anthrax, NOFX, Lee Ritenour, Erykah Badu, NWA, Ice-T, DMX, Armored Saint, Beastie Boys, Survivor, Joe Satriani, Daddy Yankee, Ludacris, Dokken, Kid Rock, and so on. I completely agree with you...I can't imagine living without my music! Whatever your tastes may be, keep rocking!