Sunday, February 26, 2006

Assorted Musings

So I'm in a Stars SNG, hand 9. I took a beating earlier on my AQd where I had 2 pair against a guy with 2 pair AK. So I'm short stacked. I get KQo at UTG+1. I call the BB (30). Assmunch in MP raises 2x BB (60) to bring it to 90. A couple others fold and I call. Flop is 5K9 rainbow. I bet out 90 into a 210 pot. Assmunch raises 270 to bring the bet to 360. With TP decent kicker, I called. J hits the turn. I check, and Assmunch puts me all in for my last 310. I figured TP with a gutshot straight draw, why not. River brings the needed T, giving me a 9 to K straight. Assmunch flips over AA and just unleashes a flood of bitchy and insulting chat. Yeah, I sucked out the hand and I was a massive underdog (13% per twodimes.net, but a 2x BB raise is way too low for AA. He had plenty of chips preflop (1570 to my 760), so I'm not sure why he didn't raise more preflop. Either way, he and one other player just sat there and flamed me to a crisp. I've never seen chat get that filled with hate. Even the Poker Chump vs. Jordan drama didn't get close to the nastiness that was flaming me. And I'm not whining just because I was the target. I've played enough and seen enough bad beats to have seen plenty of whiney, bitchy chat. This just tripped me out. Oh well.

On a happier note, I had this hand in another SNG.

*********** # 9 **************
PokerStars Game #4097174704: Tournament #20357971, Hold'em No Limit -
Level I (10/20) - 2006/02/25 - 18:38:54 (ET)
Table '20357971 1' Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: Floss (1530 in chips)
Seat 2: jruff21 (1610 in chips)
Seat 3: iamhoff (1230 in chips)
Seat 4: ryan car (1135 in chips)
Seat 5: NOLMTGMR (1370 in chips)
Seat 6: smokinjo76 (2125 in chips)
ryan car: posts small blind 10
NOLMTGMR: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to iamhoff [7s 2c]
iamhoff said, "vnh"
smokinjo76: calls 20
Floss: folds
jruff21: folds
iamhoff: raises 40 to 60
ryan car: folds
NOLMTGMR: calls 40
smokinjo76: calls 40
*** FLOP *** [2h 6h 6d]
NOLMTGMR: checks
smokinjo76: checks
iamhoff: bets 60
NOLMTGMR: folds
smokinjo76: folds
iamhoff said, "hammer"
iamhoff collected 190 from pot
iamhoff: shows [7s 2c] (two pair, Sixes and Deuces)

Every so often you gotta drop the hammer. And if you look closely at the chat in the overlapped table, I'm railing Sir Waffles in a 180 player SNG. He was up, he was down. Bloggers including Matt and Poker Poison also railed the action. The end result was a resounding victory for The Waffle Man.

One last observation. Stars seems to have gone dead for me. It's been quite some time since I cashed anything there. So this weekend I decided to hit Tilt a little harder. It seems to take longer for the SNGs to fill up, but the action's pretty good. Of the four I played, I cashed in 2 (2nd and 3rd), had one bubble finish, and one donkey move where I went all in on the first hand. SB called and BB (me) had Q2o and just checked. Flop is 2Q4 rainbow. SB throws out a pot-sized bet, and with 2 pair including TP, I call. Turn is a 9. Again a pot bet, again I call. River is a 7. All-in, and I call. Villain flips over Q4o! Horrible, having my 2s beaten by lowly 4s! Either way, as Wes has discovered, a change in scenery seems to help break you out of a rut. We'll see how Tilt does for me for an extended period of time.

4 comments:

Matt Silverthorn said...

I don't see how they can berate you for that play. Being on the short stack and pretty much pot committed by the turn, you really didn't have a choice. I always love when the person slow playing AA gets cracked. It's lovely. That'll teach you to min raise.

iamhoff said...

Thanks. I totally agree. If he'd done a typical 4 or 5x BB raise and I'd called, then I'd be a total tourist and he would be correct in flaming me. But with that small a raise, screw 'em!

drewspop said...

Hey Hoff, that's bs. You flop top pair, and like matt said, were pot committed when you called the all-in. Gotta love people that can't take a suckout when they bait you.

I got crushed a couple times on Interpoker while trying to clear my bonus yesterday, but wtf, it's part of the game.

I sure you stayed above it all and let the jackasses show how classless they were. I just sit back and laugh. Good job.

iamhoff said...

It was pretty fugly. I know I can play like a total donk, and I've been flamed before, but this was more harsh than anything else I've seen. I did keep quiet and stay out of the fray. I did outlast one of the characters, but I did bust out well short of the bubble. Oh well. Part of the game.