Monday, January 30, 2006

TROH - Weekend Update

First of all, happy Monday (not)! Let’s get the administrative-type stuff out of the way.

You may notice that The Randomness of Hoff is no longer blind open access to anybody. I’ve had several comments left anonymously that were for obvious commercial purposes, and have no significance to me or you, my wonderfully demented readers. As such, you now need to be a blogger to comment and use the goofy word verification feature. Sorry, but I guess that means that I’m being read enough that some ad monkeys think it’s worthwhile to do random posts here. On that note, I noticed that the hit counter cracked 1500 over the weekend. Sweet! Also, Falstaff’s Poker Stage has been added to the sidebar. He started checking out TROH and was kind enough to say nice things on his blog. I don’t know if you’ll find that as a positive endorsement, but I do! Feel free to check him out. Now on to other things.

Hope everybody had a good weekend. Mine was fine, but poker was not good to me. Out of probably 6 SNG’s, I cashed in only one. Not a good ratio. I’ve determined that I should not play poker if the gf is at all awake and in the house. Inevitably something will happen, she will seek my attention for something (always legitimate, never distracting for the sake of distraction), and I will get distracted and wind up either calling a bad situation or folding a good one. It happened three times this weekend, all of which resulted in my busting out of each tourney about 3 hands later in 5th. I’m not going to log in and play (at least an SNG or MTT) unless she’s either out somewhere or asleep in the bedroom (napping on the couch doesn’t work, because she can hear the mouse clicks, keyboard, etc.). The one SNG I cashed in was played around midnight last night, after she was asleep, so there’s my theory. She’s just not a gambling fan, and that’s my cross to bear (bear to cross? Whatever). Anyway, that brings me to the rest of the weekend…

Saw the movie Annapolis. It was entertaining, and based on things I’ve read and several people I know who’ve gone thru either the USNA, West Point, or the AFA, the depiction of plebe life was reasonably accurate, for Hollyweird standards. Not all plebes are going to wind up sleeping with Jordana Brewster, though, which brings me to her. God Damn is she hot! I’ve got a major thing for brunettes (the gf is brunette), and past objects d’lust have included Sandra Bullock, Salma Hayek, and Natalie Portman. Jordana is just smokin’! But enough (sigh) about her. For some reason, this weekend wound up being more about…

Eating. My gf is a food connoisseur, and we wound up making the weekend quite the food world tour. Friday dinner, we went to this little Italian place called Bussalachi’s in the Banker’s Hill/Hillcrest neighborhood of San Diego. It is built in a converted, sorta craftsman style house. Very cool, and the food was extremely tasty. She had this Shrimp Penne dish that, in the words of Speaker, had a metric-ass ton of garlic on it, but not so much that it didn't work. It was painfully good. Your hero suffered his way through a goat cheese and pine nut tortellini dish, with onions and mushrooms. Very good. Saturday lunch was at a sorta-Mediterranean restaurant, Azul, in downtown La Jolla, overlooking the cove. They do a tapas lunch that includes such things as: kalamata olive tapenade, pesto tapenade, red pepper hummus, duck mini-quesadillas, Greek seafood salad, spring rolls, tiger prawns, and so on. Wicked good. Dinner on Saturday was something new, a Moroccan place in La Jolla called Marakkesh. Very Arabic looking, with the silk tapestries on the ceiling, and the low tables with barrel stools to sit on. Even a belly dancer came thru, and although she looked in her 40s, she was still hot, with a smokin’ bod. There was an older couple at the table next to us, probably in their 50s, with one set of their parents. After watching a bunch of us slide tips down the dancer’s costume, the son reached into his wallet, pulled out some money, and gave it to his father so he could tip the dancer. She of course thought this was very cute, and gave him quite the show. The food was very good, but completely new to me. We started with the server washing out hands at the table. That was followed by a hummus and tapenade plate with bread. That was followed by a “salad” that consisted of spiced eggplant, marinated cucumbers, tomatoes, and carrots. Interesting. Then we had the main meal. The gf had lamb, with assorted vegetables and chickpea hummus. I had this blackened chicken dish that was marinated in lemon juice, and served with assorted vegetables. Dinner was finished off with baklava and (I guess) a traditional mint tea. Sunday lunch was the ghetto meal. There’s a little Mexican dive called Pokeez in downtown SD. If you look at the place and the employees, it and they are all tagged and tattooed floor to ceiling and head to toe. It looks like the total gang banger place, but they have some of the best Mexican food you’ll find, on either side of the border. The most interesting part of them, is they not only do “normal” stuff, but they’ll do vegetarian and vegan meals, too. I never would have thought of ghetto, gangland vegans, but there they are. She gets these tofu, potato and mushroom tacos, and I get this taco salad thing in a tortilla bowl with beans, rice, lettuce, cheese, sour cream, onions, egg, and topped off with the best tasting marinated grilled chicken I’ve ever had. I don’t know what they do to it (and frankly I probably should NEVER find out!), but it rocks! Finally, Sunday dinner turned out to be sushi, at one of my favorite placed in Pacific Beach, Kabuki. This is a great place. The sushi is fresh and tasty, and the sushi bar is set up with a moat going around the chefs, and they put an assortment of rolls and nigiri sushi on boats that float around the moat. You see something you like, you take it. And the prices are very reasonable. At any normal nice sushi joint, the amount of food the gf and I ate could have easily totaled $70 or so. Our bill came to $42. And with that…

We went home, I walked the dog, she went to sleep, and I hopped on Stars to get in one last SNG. Finally I make it in the money. 3rd place, but after the bloodbath this weekend, any positive money is good. Sorry for the length of this post, but it happens. I promise, I’ll try to make the next one relatively short.

5 comments:

huma said...

I agree, sushi sure is tasty :)

cancuk said...

Hi,

I'm about to launch an online poker school and was wondering if you're interested in your site/blogs being "sponsored" by my site.

In return for this, you would recieve x% each month from our sites total earnings.

I can be reached at keatondejong@hotmail.com

Cheers,

Kyle de Jong

drewspop said...

Hey Hoff, thanks for the feedback on my "play" before vacation. Good stuff here, as always. Now I have a week's worth to catch up on. Kewl.

River Driver said...

First of all, do not cross bears. They are easily angered and have sharp points on five of their six ends (no stingers).

Second of all, you should know better than to gamble when your girlfriend is home. Do not cross girlfriends or bears.

Third, my God how much money did you spend on food? Did that whole weekend kill the budget for the month, or what? I'd be eating at Taco Bell from the value menu after that one...

iamhoff said...

Yeah, trying not to cross the gf is kinda like trying to not cross a bear while living in its den. Actually it's not that bad. We just have really different standards of living, and so it goes.

All told, the bill for the weekend was probably $250-$275, including drinks. I just got my quarterly bonus, so it was an authorized expenditure. Still, mmmm. Taco Bell Value Menu. mmmm. cheezy bean and rice burrito. mmmm.