Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Running with the bulls or running with the donkeys

Took advantage of the gf being out last night to play some SNG’s on Stars. Results were mixed, but that’s alright…I’m learning. The one that pissed me off the most was the first time I went out in last place. Call, fold, fold, raise to me by this laughing boy that I’ll call laughing boy. I’ve got pocket jacks, so I reraised preflop. Laughing boy calls, and the flop comes up 99X. Check to me, I put in a 4x BB bet to properly represent my strength, and laughing boy calls. It’s still early in the game (Level III, I believe), so I don’t have a great read on him, but I put him on a smaller pair. I figure if he had AA, KK, or even QQ he might have reraised me preflop. Turn is 9. OK. I’ve got 9s full of Js, so I decide to get rid of him and push all in. This ass monkey calls and flips over 97o. WTF?!? River is a rag, and our hero busts out in 9th place, for the first (but I’m sure not last) time in my short career. I’ll give laughing boy credit for slow playing and sucking me in, but to call that many raises preflop with a 97o? I guess donkeys do win occasionally. I will also admit to violating one of the rules that one of the bloggers came up with (I forget who, sorry)…ask yourself, is it worth risking your tournament life on these cards at this time? I think if he would have reraised me after the flop, I would have folded. Oh well, that's why it's called gambling.

I also had an 8th place and then I placed in 3rd. In that one, I got short-stacked and then doubled up two hands in a row. I finally went out (as the short stack, natch) with A8d against a set of 10s. After that, I had one where I ended in 5th place. I was playing pretty well until my gf came home. I actually won a few hands that I pushed right after she came home, but finally went out when I got all in with AJd against JJ. No improvement and I signed off for a few hours. After our heroine goes to sleep, I needed to wash the taste of that last one out of my mouth, so I sat down to play one more, and it just flowed. I doubled up early, twice, and played probably my best game. The final hand had me with AQc against all in A5d. Flop is 5Qx. Rag. Rag. End result, First Place, baby! And with that, our hero finishes his Jack and Coke, brushes his teeth, and drifts into a blissful slumber.

9 comments:

Matt Silverthorn said...

Yeah, I hate when the jackasses catch like that. The only good thing is that you can take solace in the fact that they probably buy back in on a regular basis. You end up with their money in the end.

iamhoff said...

So true. At least I finished the night on a good note. I'm sure donkey went out shortly thereafter. The poker gods seem to believe in justice, so I'm willing to trust them.

Klopzi said...

Although playing a 97o the way he did is not something you want to do that often, you'll sometimes find good players doing just that when playing beneath their bankroll.

Limp in the first few levels, and try to bust someone on a lucky flop. I don't have the balls for it myself, but I've seen it done successfully many times. These are normally the guys who walk all over the table and everyone just sits back and wonders how this guy gets so lucky.

Then again, the guy could just be a donkey...

Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

I can't agree though that the poker gods seem to believe in justice. I will agree that SOMEbody probably ends up with these fishes' money, but rarely is it me. Or so it seems.

Btw that 97o call is a particularly weak move, even for a fish. Usually those zobos are in there with any two high cards, or with a low pocket pair. 97o, that is just a downright bad hand, not one to ever be calling raises with.

iamhoff said...

I agree with you guys. I have no possible idea why this guy did what he did. I guess he figured he'd go for his bluff by raising preflop, but you'd think my reraise would have scared him off. Maybe he truly was a donkey who thought that 97 would be good, because it could fill two parts of a straight. Who knows? Sometimes you takes da money, and sometimes you gives da money.

huma said...

Sounds like you were playing against Gus Hansen :)

When this kind of crap happens I just tell myself that I want people doing stuff like calling re-raises with 97o so I can take their money 99% of the time when they don't catch. Usually I pepper it with a few more expletives though.

huma said...

oh and congrats on the win - sounds like you came out even or better for the night.

iamhoff said...

I believe I was up $8 for the night. Not bad for several hours of fun and entertainment. I would have loved more, but positive money is positive money. And yes, I usually prefer when donkeys call me with 97o, because that usually means I'm getting paid. When it doesn't, that's poker!

drewspop said...

Hey, thanks a lot for swinging by and checking me out. I appreciate the feedback. Had a great time in the tourney last night so you will see me there again.

Hope to see you on Stars. I am usually in the low buyin sngs.