Saturday, January 28, 2006

The Poker Gods Giveth, and The Poker Gods Taketh Away

So after the gf and I got home last night, I went out to walk the dog, and she crashed out. By the time I got back, she was asleep. Perfect! Time for poker! I fired up Stars and decided to try a multi-table turbo SNG. I like playing the turbos, because the pace is quicker (except for the pinhead who ran a connection strength that varied from a high of 42% to disconnect, including during two big pots). Thursday wasn't very good to me, out of 5 I cashed in 1 (2nd place), so I was hoping the gods were ready to show love to me.

I got into an 11+1 45 person SNG. I think I played my most solid game yet, and more importantly, I got the cards when I needed them. Of the 45 players, I personally took at least 10 of them out. I was big stack early, and held the tourney big stack all the way to 4 handed. A sample of the cards and love the gods bestowed on me included:

*********** # 9 **************
PokerStars Game #3780737683: Tournament #18776391, Hold'em No Limit -
Level III (25/50) - 2006/01/28 - 03:26:15 (ET)
Table '18776391 3' Seat #9 is the button

*** SHOW DOWN ***
kriswoody: shows [Ts Td] (two pair, Jacks and Tens)
iamhoff: shows [As 2s] (two pair, Aces and Jacks)
iamhoff collected 3490 from pot

*********** # 16 **************
PokerStars Game #3780774951: Tournament #18776391, Hold'em No Limit -
Level IV (50/100) - 2006/01/28 - 03:33:09 (ET)
Table '18776391 3' Seat #2 is the button

*** SHOW DOWN ***
iamhoff: shows [5h 5d] (three of a kind, Fives)
brazor: shows [Kc Ah] (a pair of Kings)
iamhoff collected 6670 from pot

*********** # 18 **************
PokerStars Game #3780786971: Tournament #18776391, Hold'em No Limit -
Level IV (50/100) - 2006/01/28 - 03:35:25 (ET)
Table '18776391 3' Seat #5 is the button

*** SHOW DOWN ***
iamhoff: shows [Kd Ac] (a pair of Kings)
brazor: shows [Td Tc] (a pair of Tens)
iamhoff collected 2690 from pot

It was that kind of game. I got the cards. All was well, until we were 4 handed. I get all in against a bluff machine with my 55 against his AJo. He flops a jack and I'm crippled. I hung around for a couple more hands, and collected some blinds, and finally got JTo...my best hope. I made 2 pair, but somebody rivered a boat and I went home in 3rd, with a nice $80 payday for my $12 investment.

Saturday morning was another story, though. I played the same game again, 11+1 45 turbo SNG. Early in, I was playing strong. I'd already doubled up and won a few other showdowns. Then came this hand.

*********** # 13 **************
PokerStars Game #3783198845: Tournament #18790601, Hold'em No Limit -
Level III (25/50) - 2006/01/28 - 12:39:28 (ET)
Table '18790601 2' Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: troy1256 (1470 in chips)
Seat 2: starfire (1445 in chips)
Seat 4: cypress72 (1715 in chips)
Seat 5: gamchef (1640 in chips)
Seat 6: iamhoff (2445 in chips)
Seat 7: Fresh_Greens (1385 in chips)
Seat 8: Jafm (2015 in chips)
Seat 9: tsunamy (1385 in chips)
iamhoff: posts small blind 25
Fresh_Greens: posts big blind 50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to iamhoff [Kd Kh]
Jafm: calls 50
tsunamy: calls 50
troy1256: calls 50
starfire: calls 50
cypress72: calls 50
gamchef: calls 50
iamhoff: raises 50 to 100
Fresh_Greens: calls 50
Jafm: calls 50
tsunamy: calls 50
troy1256: calls 50
starfire: calls 50
cypress72: calls 50
gamchef: calls 50
*** FLOP *** [Ah Js Kc]
iamhoff: bets 50
Fresh_Greens: calls 50
Jafm: raises 1865 to 1915 and is all-in
tsunamy: folds
troy1256: folds
starfire: folds
cypress72: folds
gamchef: folds
iamhoff: calls 1865
Fresh_Greens: folds
*** TURN *** [Ah Js Kc] [9h]
*** RIVER *** [Ah Js Kc 9h] [3d]
iamhoff said, "I wondered if you had the QT"
*** SHOW DOWN ***
iamhoff: shows [Kd Kh] (three of a kind, Kings)
Jafm: shows [Qd Th] (a straight, Ten to Ace)
Jafm collected 4680 from pot
iamhoff said, "nh"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 4680 | Rake 0

So there's my donkey move of the day. And I honestly don't think it was a complete donkey move. The villain had been a bluff machine, so I felt that he didn't have the QT. He did, and I was crippled and went out with A9 two pair against a river flush. So it goes. Actually my real donkey move was getting greedy. With all those callers, I figured a small raise would keep most of them around. I felt pretty good that my kings were solid, and as it turned out they were. Just not against a straight. If I'd done a larger raise, I wouldn't have gotten as many callers, but I might still be in the game. Oh well. Maybe the gods are ready to show me some love again. We'll see...

9 comments:

Wes said...

I really don't like min raising with KK there. I'd be pumping that pot up to 300+ preflop and I might even push if I saw some really dumb all-in calls.

iamhoff said...

Yeah, that's one of my newbie errors that I need to work on. I started off playing fixed limit, and it was too easy to just click the raise button. I still do that, more often than not when playing tourneys, as opposed to dialing in a proper "xBB" raise. So many things to learn, and taking the time to figure out what the right raise is, is certainly one of them. BTW, congrats on Platinum. I'm like at aluminum foil or something. Maybe someday I'll make it to PVC plastic!

huma said...

Absolutely, KK is an automatic 4BB+ or pot sized raise for me. At that point there was 375 in the pot, so a 375 bet should scare out everything but kings, aces and complete morons. I used to min raise and hope for lots of callers too but it just doesn't work out, collectively they have too many outs. The only time I min-raise now with a monster is when I'm in late position and hoping to sucker one or two opponents in, by representing a mediocre hand.

The min raise also makes no changes to the pot odds. Mathematically (or something) everyone who limped in should call the minraise.

Of course take all this with a grain of salt because I'm just regurgitating stuff I read somewhere and don't really understand it :)

iamhoff said...

I read it too, in Harrington I think. I also think part of my problem was I was getting greedy. I figured with all the limpers, if I threw out a small raise, more of them would come along. If they were limping, they probably didn't have me beat. Ah greed, one of the 7 deadly sins, right up there with deep dish pizza, Jack Daniels, and Jordana Brewster! Just saw the movie Annapolis...smoking!

Klopzi said...

Good job on cashing in the $11 + $1 MTT. It's funny, in the past 9 months of playing, I've only played in a handful of MTTs. I've cashed a few times, but never anything substantial. In fact, I've never payed to play in an MTT, sticking mainly with freerolls offered by rakeback sites and poker forums.

As for the KK fiasco, I'll simply re-iterate what others have said. Pre-flop, especially early, you need to raise between 3x and 5x the big blind. That way it's much easier to place your opponent on a hand post-flop - or that would be the case if most players played logically.

When the flop comes A K J, you should bet out more than the minimum - you want to protect your hand. There are three cards to the straight and you want to nip this in the bud now. I bet about 1/4 to 1/2 the pot - if he comes over the top, you've got a hard choice. But if you do put him on a straight, it's still early and you can fold.

In all fairness though, I would've called his all-in as well. I do it all the time and it's probably one of those things that I'll need to correct in order to become a better player.

Klopzi said...

Hey iamhoff,

Could you do me a small favour? In your sidenav, you've linked to me as "Klopzi's Journey".

Could you switch this to either "Klopzi's Mediocre Poker" or just "Klopzi"? The "Journey" part makes me think of religion and/or weak 80s bands.

Feel free to delete this comment after you've read it.

iamhoff said...

Klopzi, it has been changed. Sorry for the negative image...it certainly wasn't intended! lol

Klopzi said...

No bad connotations for anyone else concerned - I'm just a freak I guess. Thanks for making that change for me.

In exchange, feel free to put a bad beat on me if you happen to find me bleeding money online. My recommendation: wait till I hit a trip kings that fill out to Kings full of Jacks on the river.

When I push all in, insta-call and slam your pocket Jacks down saying "How's that for a journey, prick!"

I owe you that much. :)

By the way, that hasn't happened to me yet...at least, the guy who had the jacks never called me a prick...I hate that guy...

iamhoff said...

lol. Sadly, I think you'd see me coming and be waiting for me with something stupid like A7 against my AK, and the flop comes A77. I wind up against that kind of situation more than I'd really like. Still, if I can find myself with JJ, I'll come looking for ya. Do you think they'll let me bring my cards from another table?