Thursday, January 26, 2006

My New Favorite

As regular readers here (are any of you really "regular"?) know, my poker time is limited in the evenings. As such, I decided to try a turbo SNG. These things rock! A 9 seat NLHE SNG finishes in about half the time of a regular SNG. I can double my playing time!! Woo hoo! They don't allow as much time as the regular SNGs, and more importantly, the blinds go up every 5 minutes. This really helps thin the table, as people get blinded out more quickly. As it was, I got two turbos in tonight. The first was a 15+1 and I won the damn thing! Later, I decided to get one more in before I crashed out. I decided to try a 25+2 (feeling lucky, I guess). I went out on a super suckout bad beat, but still made it to third. I'm convinced I would have won, except for Bungmunch's suckout. Blinds are 200/400, and I'm in the SB with AsQs. I call the BB, who raises me all-in. This guy has been a freak all night, playing absolute crap and getting away with it. I figured my AQ was pretty safe, especially when Bungmunch flipped over T9 offsuit. Guess the flop. Q. J. 8. This donkey extraordinaire takes a T9 unsuited and flops a freaking straight! Rag on the turn and I did pick up a 3rd Q on the river, but my set wasn't enough. Un-freaking-believable. Oh well. At least I made the money on both, and actually won one of them. A decent profit for an hour and a half worth of work.

On a different topic, those of you who read StB know that he's got a list of song snippets that reference various acts of drinking. I've heard most of them, as I'm sure many of you have. I found a couple of others that he may want to include, if he's become bored with his current list. One is by the Canadian Celtic Folk group (you Much Music fans out there probably know them), Great Big Sea. On their CD, "Up", they have a lovely drinking song titled, "The Old Black Rum". A sample of the lyrics includes:

Well I'd drink to the father or the holy ghost
kneeling at the alter of my nightly post
and I’ll raise a glass, not the first or last
come join me in this toast

Chorus
’Cause the old black rum’s got a hold on me
like a dog wrapped ’round my leg
and the old black rum’s got a hold on me
will I live for another day


One other booze oriented song (funny how these bands are Irish in nature...) is by the great punk band, The Dropkick Murphys. Off of their outstanding CD, "Do or Die", we have the aptly named track "Barroom Hero". A sample of the lyrics is here:

Face down in the gutter won't admit defeat
though his clothes are soiled and black,
he's a big, strong man with a childs mind,
Don't you take his booze away!


Feel free to share them with StB and anybody else who appreciates alcohol-oriented lyrics (God Bless Jimmy Buffet!). I'm sure that the majority of us drink, or at least chemically enhance our lives in some fashion. Any favorite drinking songs out there? Either good solid songs like "Whiskey in the Jar" (pre-Metallica) or a good bar song like "Johnson's Motor Car". Maybe I can put together a drinking mix for iPods or something. Let me know your faves...I'm always open to new music.

7 comments:

River Driver said...

Some of these you've already mentioned:

Alcohol by Barenaked Ladies
Paul Revere by Beastie Boys
Mountain Dew by the Clancy Brothers
Jug of Punch by the Clancy Brothers
Finnegan's Wake by the Clancy Brothers OR Flogging Molly
Mexican Moon by Concrete Blonde
Hurricane Party by Cowboy Mouth
Pina Colada in a Pint Glass by Gaelic Storm
Thirsty Work by Gaelic Storm
Drink the Night Away by Gaelic Storm
Friends in Low Places by Garth Brooks
The Night Pat Murphy Died by Great Big Sea
Old Black Rum by Great Big Sea
Wasted Rock Ranger by Great White
Hitchin' a Ride by Green Day
Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffet
Boat Drinks by Jimmy Buffet
Prop Me Up Beside the Jukebox by Joe Diffie
Whiskey in the Jar by Metallica
Beauty in the Dark by Milgrim's Pilgrims
Suicide Solution by Ozzy Osbourne
Gin and Juice by Snoop Dogg
Sober by Tool


And that's just after briefly perusing my iTunes...

iamhoff said...

How could I forget Wasted Rock Ranger? One of my absolute most favorite tunes of all time! I guess the difference is you actually went to your iTunes library. I just looked thru the dry, dusty, overworked and undernourished recesses of my mind. So it goes.

River Driver said...

But you were right...look at all the Irish/celtic influenced bands in there...

Falstaff said...

Great Big Sea is my favorite band! Hard to see them more than once every couple of years in NC, though. Nice blog.

iamhoff said...

If you like GBS, another band you might want to check out (a little more folk, a little less Celtic, but they've toured together) is Carbon Leaf from Richmond, VA. Probably easier to see them than GBS, and I think every bit as good. Fun band, check them out.

huma said...

Get yourself some Aussie pub rock if you want some decent drinking tunes. You've probably heard plenty of AC/DC or the Oils. Check out modern groups like Jet, the Vines, Grinspoon or John Butler Trio :)

iamhoff said...

Huma,

Ya know, an old roomie of mine in college was a big fan of all things Aussie, and I remember that he had a limitless supply of Aussie drinking songs...some the usual traditional songs in the vein of the classic Irish drinking songs, and some by modern groups. I love AC/DC and The Vines...I'll have to fire up Morpheus and check out a few tunes. Thanks for the tip.