Monday, January 16, 2006

I'm King of the Blogs! Cheetos and Hand Jobs For All My Men!

Well, it’s time for a little self-congratulation and a lot of shout-outs. I’ve been blogging for a little over a month, and my hit counter crossed 1100 over the weekend! People have actually visited my little blog over a thousand times! I…I…I’m sorry. I’m feeling a little verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves…topic for discussion: eggplant. Neither egg nor plant. Discuss.

Seriously, I have all of you degenerate freaks out there to thank for actually stopping by. Some of you even stop by more than once. A few of you even offer comments on things I have to say, and for all of that I say Thanks! Time to drop a few names and offer up some pimpage. Lady Falcon gets the award for making the first comment ever on my blog, beating my little sister by about 5 minutes. Matt has openly pimped me from the start, and it was commenting on his and Lady Falcon’s blogs that forced me to set up a Blogger account. Klopzi recently stumbled by and decided I was worthy of pimpage (thanx, bro). AlCantHang, StB, Waffles, and Dave Westbay have all come by and left comments and/or added me to their blogrolls. Wes, Jordan, The Rooster, and The Poker Doctor have also been kind and/or demented enough to stop by and comment on what they’ve read. Maybe Doc has been prescribing some funny meds to the blogger community.

There are also plenty of bloggers who simply inspire me to improve my blog and my game, and they are gracious enough to offer me a forum to view their thoughts and even offer my own comments. Sometimes they even respond! Seriously, for the inspiration, (why is this starting to sound like an awards show or something?) I’ve got to give props to Wil Wheaton, Up4Poker, Pauly, Gracie, Jaxia, and Whiskeytown for the great posts. There’s a lot to think about on these bloggers’ sites, both about poker and a lot about life in general. I’m sure that there’s a few people that I neglected to mention, but that is simply because I tend to be scattered and hurried (I’m actually at work today, but who really wants to work), not because I don’t care about you. Check out the blogroll at the right, and check out somebody you haven’t seen before. Also, I’ve recently added a bunch of blogs to my favorites, and I simply need to mine them out and add them to the roll…I’m probably going to have to start organizing these more. There’s also a bunch of bloggers that I intend to visit, I just haven’t gotten the time yet. Some of them include Iggy, BadBlood, HDouble, Human Head, Spaceman, JoeSpeaker, and others. I plan on checking everybody out, so if there’s a blog I missed, or I should check out, or if I missed you, let me know. I’m trying to catch everybody and put together a wicked blogroll, so help me out. Finally, shouts to Card Squad and Lord Admiral’s Card Club. I’m sure most of you read Card Squad…for those visitors who haven’t been there, it’s a great news, event, and instructional blog for card games, players, and sites. Lots of great contributors, including Joanne, Wil, and Pauly’s brother, Derek. Lord Admiral offers up a weekly podcast of poker news and happenings, and it’s some really good stuff.

OK. This has gone on long enough. I've probably set the record for the most hyperlinks in the body of a post, and I have to get back to work, but I’ll give one quick update. My perfect record on SNG’s has ended. My first one I actually won, but I’ve since placed 8th, bubbled out in 4th, and made the money in 3rd. Technically, I’m still positive money on the SNG’s, but my cash game losses put me in the red. Oh well. Once I get the Stars bankroll stabilized, I’ll fund the FT bankroll. Which reminds me. I know most of you play mostly Stars, FT, or both. What other sites do the majority of bloggers play on? I’ve heard UB discussed, but where else do the degenerates play? Let me know so I can come find you and take your money (rofl)! Ok. Now I have to get back to work. Actually, one more thing, I mentioned in a previous post that Al was the first I knew of to discover Frappr, and Sir Waffles has a good map going. I've got a link to my Frappr map near the top of my sidebar. Add yourself to it. So far everybody who added themselves is from the Continental US except for humanaut, from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Sign up and let's see where everybody is. Ok. Now I REALLY have to get back to work. Additional props for anybody who can name the source of my paraphrased title. Gotta go.

13 comments:

Matt Silverthorn said...

Hey, thanks for the props.

I know that a lot of people also have accounts at PartyPoker. It's a good site to play cash games because the people there tend to be really loose. However, it's also a bad site for cash games because the people there tend to be really loose. If your bankroll can handle the massive swings it will take from people sucking out on you, you might want to start an account there. You'll probably end up ahead in the long run. They also have pretty good tourneys.

iamhoff said...

I've heard that about Party. Gotta stablize the bankroll a bit before diving that heavily back into cash games. Definitely liking the SNG's. How are those on Party? As loose as the cash games, or do they tighten up as on Stars?

Wes said...

The Party SNGs are extremely loose up to the $33 ones. After that, the quality of play between Stars and Party is roughly the same.

Pretty much the only two sites that the majority of the bloggers play on are FT and Stars. There might occasionally be a Crptologic site on there (I know Dr Pauly plays on Sun Poker) or someone going back to Paradise for some nostalgia.

iamhoff said...

I figured most bloggers played at either FT or Stars (or both). Some of the others I've seen have been Ultimate Bet, Pacific Poker, and Tiger Gaming. I know your feelings about Jordan's new site, i-pokertable.com, but who knows. I haven't been there yet, and we'll see what other people say. I'm most likely going to fund an account at Tilt, and just run with Stars and Tilt. That way I should be able to play in the majority of events that get scheduled. Thanx for stopping by, and see ya on the felt.

huma said...

I don't really dig the cheap sng's at Party, mainly because of the starting stacks/blind structure. But I tend to do pretty well in terms of ROI%. LOTS of maniacs at the low levels. I should probably play more there, but I'm a cheapskate and prefer the $1+0.10 sng's at stars :)

And yeah, dunno why I opened that frappr thing - not really all that useful to me, hehe.

Hoff links me up and I'll do the same. I'm heading towards 1k hits too!

Klopzi said...

I see what you mean about my post reflecting yours...that is eerie... I'm sorry if it seemed like I was talking about your post directly - I wasn't. Although this post does justify my writings, I guess...

I find that the SNGs at Party Poker are extremely loose. The shorter stacks and fast blind timing may seem to be a disadvantage at first, but the bad players will start to feel the pressure to push far sooner than you should. Sit back and wait for your moment to double up. Don't involve yourself in many pots in the first 3 levels without a quality holding.

The Cryptologic (Interpoker, William Hill, etc.) SNGs are also loose and have a better structure than Party but you'll be hard pressed to play one on a weekday given the lack of weekday traffic on these sites.

PokerStars SNGs are ok. I find the larger stacks and slower blinds allow poorer players to hang on far longer than they should, but with patience, you can easily place in the top 5 (top 3 if you catch one good break). Many say that the play at PokerStars is better than on other sites, but I'd disagree - it's on par or even slightly worse (I'm talking about $5 SNGs only, mind you).

TigerGaming also has 6-person $3 + 0.45 SNGs where the top 2 spots pay. These SNGs can provide some valuable lessons cheaply. And the short-handed nature of the SNG helps you improve an aspect of the game often overlooked by many.

For details on where I play, my site provides all the details ad nauseum.

iamhoff said...

It WAS pretty strange, comparing your post to mine. Freaky. No worries, it was just a trip to be reading that less than 2 hours after I posted mine. Nice to see I'm on the proper path :)

Yeah, I have seen the affiliate tags on your site...you seem to mention Tiger enough, I may check them out. So far I've only been playing the 10+1 SNG's on Stars, and I've done alright. Once in 9th (I was severely tilted and crippled when my set of Hiltons ran into a boat), 2 times out in 8th, once on the bubble in 4th, 2 times in 3rd, and 2 times in 1st. I'm having fun and learning. So far it hasn't killed the bankroll, so I'll keep going.

Klopzi said...

I wish I had the cojones to try the $10 SNGs - another 30 $5 SNGs to finish off before I'll consider playing in the big leagues.

iamhoff said...

I don't know, I guess I just never considered playing the lower limit SNG's. All the blogging I'd read up to that point was people writing about playing the 10+1's, so that's just what I went with. I started off playing the microlimit ring games (.05/.10 thru .25/.50), but I love the SNG's. The players are fixed. Too many times late at night I'd be on a table and have people drop out. We'd get down to three people, and with 10 cent blinds, the pots were just too small to care about. Then it would be searching around to find an open table with enough people. I'll only play cash games now if I don't have the time for an SNG. Once I start cashing consistently in the SNG's, my next step will be an MTT.

River Driver said...

Isn't your title from a Richard Jeni skit?

iamhoff said...

No, but you're on the right track. My challenge was only part challenge. The line is from a comedian out of the mid to late 80s who I think was on SNL back then. Not anybody big like Dana Carvey, David Spade, or Rob Schneider (Hello. Cursed Earth Pizza). He was a younger guy, talking about being in college when the financial aid checks would arrive. In his words, "I'm king of the dorms! Cheetos and Hand Jobs for all my men!" That's the quote, I just forget exactly who it was from. Bonus points if anybody knows the source of my Rob Schneider reference.

Klopzi said...

I'm anxious to try the $10 SNGs - it's true that a lot of the other bloggers out there play those and the $20 ones.

Still, cash games and clearing bonuses is still play a huge part in building my bankroll. I've never been much of a gambler (ironic, I know) so I tend to stay away from MTTs and I also find SNGs to be a bit of a crapshoot. I've done well with my SNGs but I hate getting knocked out when someone gets lucky.

Still, it only takes one good placing in an MTT to make your career...

iamhoff said...

So true. The bankroll certainly doesn't permit, and I have yet to find a 3 to 5 hour window (maybe I'll take a day off from work!) to play an MTT. When those forces do align, tho, I'm definitely playing