Thursday, January 12, 2006

First Ever SnG!!



How about that! My first ever SnG. A simple $10+1 on Stars. I ran 2nd or 3rd most of the way. At one point fairly early I was short stacked after my set ran into a higher kicker. Still I fought back and led several times. I dropped the hammer once, and picked up a pair of 2s on the flop, but with two other people going all in, I figured I'd bail out. There was one brutal suckout that fortunately didn't happen to me. KK went all in against JJ. On the river (natch) JJ turned a straight, and KK was gone, in 6th. Early on, I played pretty tight, and established a solid table rep. From that, I was able to pick up a lot of blinds and small pots later in the game. Near the end in heads up, I was up about T10200 to T3900, and got all in with J5 against Q7, with a flop of J57. Turn was Q. River was a rag, and I lost a good chunk of my stack. Then a couple more folded blinds from each of us. Finally, in the BB I pick up T6h. SB does a small raise and I call. Flop comes down T75, and Curtis18 goes all in with A3. I think about it and try to figure out what he's on. He's played pretty tight, but I'd caught him bluffing a couple of times. I guess he figured with a flop of rags, his ace was good, which isn't unreasonable. If I'd played exactly to my rules (thanks, Lady F), I probably would have folded with the weak kicker, but I picked up top pair and a flush draw on the flop, and I had him covered not quite 2 to 1 in chips. So I went. I cringed when I saw the ace, but figured this was as good a place as any for a stand. Q. K. And there you go. My first SnG and I actually won! Props to Curtis18. You played a good game. We'll see what happens with the next one.

9 comments:

Wes said...

Congrats.

iamhoff said...

Thanks. I'm going to Disneyland!

Matt Silverthorn said...

Nice job. It's always good to start off on a win!

Lady Falcon said...

Congratulations! Don't spend the winnings all in one place!

HighOnPoker said...

Wow. A 100% win rate at SNGs! Your first time, aye? Are you hooked yet. Enjoy.

BSN said...

Did you play any other's yesterday? I'm almost sure I recognize your name from the tables yesterday. I play from $10 up to $25, usually.

BSN

Klopzi said...

Congrats man!

I'm still too chicken to try a $10 SNG but I've played a sh*t-load of $5 SNGs in the past month.

Keep it up...I'm jealous...

By the way, I found your site cuz you agreed with something I said on another site, so I'll pimp you just for the hell of it.

iamhoff said...

Thanks one and all. I'm sure that the next one I'll bust out in 9th, maybe 8th place!

BSN, this was my first tourney. I've only played cash and play money tables, and the cash has been low limit HE (.10/.25, .25/.50) and a little bit of Omaha (PLO .25/.50). I'll look for ya.

Klopzi, I remember that. I think it was one of the "how would you play this hand" posts that somebody did. Thanks for the pimpage, and I'll put a link to your blog from mine. See ya on the felt!

Klopzi said...

No problem - I'd say "pimpage" is my middle name, but that sounds wrong somehow and my would definitely raise questions with my wife.

And thanks for the link. Now I just need to concentrate on actually winning some $$ instead of talking about it.