Monday, December 12, 2005

Random Thoughts from the Weekend

A bad beat of sorts. I was on PokerStars, playing a fixed limit 10/20 game. I had 5-5. Pre-flop betting gets up to 4x BB, and 4 people see the flop. Flop comes 4-5-6 rainbow. Bet, fold, fold, I raise and am called. Turn is a J. Bet, I raise, he calls. River is a K. Bet, I raise, reraise, I re-reraise and am called. Donkey started with a 7-3x!?! I'll give him (or her?) credit for slow playing it enough to suck me in, but a 4x raise preflop with 7-3x? I suppose the one good thing that came out of that is these type of hands don't happen that often, so donkey will probably continue to lose lots of $$ preflop, betting the longshot.

A movie comment. My girlfriend likes to see movies, especially chick flicks and art house flicks. I've been seeing previews for Brokeback Mountain for months now, and I'm sure I'm going to get sucked in (no pun intended) to seeing it. I suppose it will at least be more interesting than Bee Season (but death would have been more interesting than that glacier...a movie about spelling bees?!?), but there's just one thing that has pretty much ruined it for me. A couple of seasons ago, a film festival came to the lovely little town of South Park. Cartman made some comment about all indie/art flicks being nothing but movies about gay cowboys eating pudding. The gay cowboy thing I can deal with, but I'm gonna be looking for any pudding references! If, while they're out in the mountains they've got some pudding somewhere in their rations, or later in their married, "normal" lives with kids there's any reference to or presence of pudding, I'm gonna lose it and bust out laughing! How can I not? Then there'll be a huge gay uprising in the Hillcrest Theatre (Hillcrest is San Diego's gay district, for those not from the area), and I'll wind up in the middle of some Queer Eye for the Movie Guy drama. If anybody has seen it in the early release, please let me know if there's any pudding anywhere. I need to prepare.

Finally, a shout out to all the poker bloggers out there. The WPBT was held at the Imperial Palace in Las Vegas this weekend. Congrats to StudioGlyphic for outlasting what was, by all reports, an amazing bunch of people (hey, bloggers are people, too!) with amazing capacities for drinking. I started this blogging thing too late to get up to speed for this event, so I read up on every update I could find. I've got to find a way to make it to the next one. Congrats to everybody for surviving, and I hope there were no permanent casualties (no limbs lost, no criminal records damaged, etc.). When's the next one?

4 comments:

Wes said...

If you're playing 10/20 on Pokerstars, I don't think you'll have to worry too much about facing me and my tiny bankroll.

Poker blogger conventions are usually about every 4-5 months. Usually one blogger decides there should be a get together and most come along.

Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

Cartman rocks! Cowboys and pudding...uhhh...yes! Now every actor is going to want to do a gay film...they should have cast a real gay actor like kevin spacey or something...make it really-real.

DrChako said...

The WPBT thing was truly incredible. Don't miss the next one. The most reliable place to find info is either at Bill Rini's site or from Dr. Pauly.

-DrC

Matt Silverthorn said...

Hey Hoff, found your blog through Dr. Chako's. I'm gonna go ahead and drop a link to your blog on mine. Feel free to do the same if you want.