Wednesday, December 07, 2005

The Day Behind and the Day Ahead

Yesterday was a long day. On the road at 7:30 a.m. to head for work. Normally I cruise around 80 with bursts into the 90's, and that allows me to get by with less than a half hour commute. As I merge onto the 5 Freeway, who is in the lane next to me but one of those evil Darth Vader Crown Victorias with the CHP star on the door. Ponch and Jon rode bikes, and my guess was that the 43 degree weather was too cold for them. Either way, Officer Not So Hot (she wasn't Bonnie from CHiPs, either) kept the pace at a steady 70. That's 5 over the limit, but well below my normal cruising speed. So we cruised like that for about half of my commute, just about into Encinitas, when some idiot (God Bless the Idiots) in a whacked-down Civic came blasting up the on-ramp. Because we were all driving slower than the normal traffic flow, there was plenty of space for idiot boy to really open it up as he merged onto the freeway. Officer N.S.H. promptly went Code 3, lights and siren, and pulled Civic boy over. My commute instantly jumped back into the 80's, and I managed to get to work just after 8.

Once at work, I had to get a bunch of projects together (I work for a homebuilder) to take to a couple of local governments in Riverside County (north and inland from San Diego). After waiting for a landscape architect to get me copies of some plans, I was off to Riverside. Thank God for Sirius Satellite Radio. Everything in RivCo is either static-y or is Mexican. I flipped through several of my favorite stations. When traffic was good, I alternated between Hair Nation (80's metal, natch) and First Wave (80's New Wave) and the Raw Dog Comedy channel. When traffic slowed me down, I put on the Chill acid jazz channel. I will never own a car without Sirius again. It rules!

So, I got everything filed where it needed to go, and then turned around to make the return drive back to SD. Fortunately, it was just late enough that I could head home instead of back to the office. Had to stop for gas in Temecula, and was able to discover that 91 octane is down to $2.45 a gallon. Woo hoo! My fill ups are back to under $50!! So I stopped at the gym on the way home, then the grocery store. Then I had to play with the dog, eat dinner, and put the lights on the Christmas Tree. Bonus! We had DVR'd Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and a Charlie Brown Christmas was also on! What a nostalgic soundtrack for decorating. Walk the dog in the 43 degree crisp, clear air at 11:30, and crawl into bed around 12:30.

Today is more of the same. No cop on the commute, but it's time at work to catch up on all the crappy paperwork that I fall behind on while actually working on creating subdivisions. Department of Real Estate. Security Bonds for construction improvements. Contract updates for consultants. And to top it off, I've got my annual review coming up on Friday. My boss gave me a paper yesterday so I could jot down my "personal and professional goals". Let's see. Not to get fired for blogging. To start winning poker tourneys both live and on PokerStars. To keep the dog from crapping in the house. To get my oil changed. To fix my golf swing. That was a problem yesterday. Normally at lunch I go to the driving range. Couldn't do that yesterday. You can bet your ass I'll be there today. I've got a slice that's more to the right than Pat Robertson and Rush Limbaugh combined. Wish me luck.

Well, time to get to work.

2 comments:

River Driver said...

I'm tellin' Mommmm...

Greg said...

http://fallbrook4u.combuilding a room addition and building a room addition Ideas for Home Construction projects. If you own a home and need to work on building a room addition then al I want to say is Yea.... I wood love to let you in on a secret about home repairs... People ask me all the time about building a room addition and they want to know simple ways to solve ther problems ...well I have the answers and If you go to http://fallbrook4u.com building a room addition and go through the site you will find what you are looking for... what can I say butt get going ...